Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a laptop for Revit...Suggestions?

Login to Give a bone

Default Looking to buy a laptop for Revit...Suggestions?

I'm going back to school and have a side job using Revit. I don't want to get a desktop b/c I want to buy software as needed through school and avoid countless lab hours. So I need a powerhouse mobile desktop that will stay on par with the software over the next few years. Any suggestions? I was looking at the MacBook Pro/Alienware m9700/Dell XPS/Vaio AR series. I was looking to keep it under 4K.
    I have never worked exclusively on a laptop, so my criteria may be a bit skewed, but so far I'm leaning toward the Alienware b/c of the resolution, numeric keypad, and graphics card. OR the Apple b/c I'm going to be having a fair amount of books and it's thin/light and can get the 3 gig of RAM with the 2.33 ghz. Dual Core but lacks the high end graphics card, resolution, and 10 key. I'm also not certain about the mouse and if you can use a Microsoft mouse. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Brian

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Looking to buy a laptop for Revit...Suggestions?

Please refer to the Revit/Hardware section of the forums. There is a lot of very useful information from users with a lot of experience on the issue. I just referred to this section of the forums for a new desktop we are purchasing and was very grateful this information was there. Good Luck!!

http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15
    Josh

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I work from a Dell M70 (20 months old) 2GB of RAM and it still works like a charm. now the M90 is out, even better.

All AUGI, all the time Justin Marchiel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

i've got a sony vaio with 2gb and a dual centrino that works pretty well.

Justin

I could stop if I wanted to jspartz's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Well, here is my opinion.

Alienware use to boost the front side bus speed on their computers making them the best at the time. They do not manipulate this anymore. They are good computers and they use AMD, which I like more, but sad to say the Core 2 Duo processors beat them in performance. Alienwares also have some incompatibilities with projectors.

The Macbook Pro and the Dell XPS use the Core 2 Duo processors. These are your best bet.

The Vaio AR's also use the Core 2 Duo, but personally I think ALL sony's computers are way overpriced for what you get. You can get the same performance for half the price.

For the Macbook Pro, keep in mind that if you are using Autodesk products, you will need to run them on Windows through VM, which will slow down performance slightly. You can use a mouse with more buttons with a Mac. I'm a fan of OS X because it's Unix-based (more stable, more reliable, more control, and definitely harder to hack). I don't know what you mean by no high end graphics. The typical card that comes with is an ATI with GDDR3 ram (faster ram than what your system's ram will probably be).

If you want to stick with straight Windows for Autodesk product performance, go with Dell.

Login to Give a bone

I use a Dell Precision M70 with 2GB of ram, 1.99ghz Pent. M processor. It has worked well. I have quite a bit of stuff on mine so i experience aslow down here and there, but for the most part, it works fine.

Josh

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Im working on a Toshiba Tecra M7 tablet convertible for a mobile unit. Core 2 Duo 2.33 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, and an Nvidia 256 MB Video card. It flies with Revit... Ive taken some of are larger models home (200 MB campus style.. 5 or 6 buildings), and it moves through them effortlessly.

Plus, i enjoy the tablet for when im brainstorming design ideas, and dont want to fully articulate with CAD. Ill draw right on images from Revit, its a thing of beauty.

Battery life isnt stellar... With Revit going full tilt and no AC power, itll go a little shy of 2 hours, but i dont expect more than that from any dual core high memory units with nice graphics cards.

Overall im very saisfied with it, and with the warranty i was out the door for less than 3500.

I could stop if I wanted to Batman's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Aaron,

I'm looking at upgrading to a laptop soon as well and I'm very interested in a tablet. Does the Tecra M7 come with those spec's standard?

How do you find working with a table for Revit and CAD in general? I've tried the Wacom Intuos tablets but returned it after a week. It's just not intuituve enough, I'd see a major difference though if the pen met the screen as with a tablet PC.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Login to Give a bone

I have a Dell Inspiron D820 (similar specs to a M90) it works great and was 500 less than the precesion. Dual Core 1.86 2gb RAM Quadra 256 card. Battery life is good till I turn Revit on. 4 hours normal, <3 with Revit.

Login to Give a bone

So it sounds as though the D90, or dell equivilant, and the MacBook Pro are the options I see shining through here. Does anyone disagree with getting the MacBook Pro w/3 gig of RAM vs. the D90 w/only 2 gig of RAM? And would I need Vista for Revit to use all 3 gigs? If I go with the MacBook I'm only planning to purchase XP Prof. w/BootCamp.
    Oh, and is it true that both OSystems will run concurrently? Thanks again!

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast