Thread: Creating DB's for piping / wiring schematics

Login to Give a bone

Question Creating DB's for piping / wiring schematics

I just spent the last how ever many minutes lookin at the posts,haven't checked out any of the blocks, as they don't really pertain to my field, but I can imagine the complexity. So, I have this vision... I've DB'd all of the valves, fittings, fixtures, etc... that we use at our mechanical/electrical/plumbing engineering firm. What I'd like to do is to create dynamic blocks for some of our piping/wiring schematics. Is this a realistic goal? I'm drawing a blank as to where to start...

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating DB's for piping / wiring schematics

Quote Originally Posted by jm.pearson
    I just spent the last how ever many minutes lookin at the posts,haven't checked out any of the blocks, as they don't really pertain to my field, but I can imagine the complexity. So, I have this vision... I've DB'd all of the valves, fittings, fixtures, etc... that we use at our mechanical/electrical/plumbing engineering firm. What I'd like to do is to create dynamic blocks for some of our piping/wiring schematics. Is this a realistic goal? I'm drawing a blank as to where to start...
    Sounds like a good idea to me. If you're not sure HOW to make DBs, I suggest for you to start with the New Features Tour where they take you step by step into the ways to make DBs. Also, opening the DBs in the sample folder would be good to start if you need to see how things go together.

Then, once you know how to MAKE DBs, I suggest for you to start simple. I've attached a couple of simple DBs I created to get myself acquainted with the process of DB creation. Then I moved to simple blocks within my company's library that I knew could be grouped together. Creation of annotation symbols is a great place to start. Arrows, Markers, things that require rotation etc.

Then, as you gain experience, you just simply learn how to use the tools more effectively and then you get your own ideas on how you could use DBs effectively in your company.

Patience and imagination are the order of the day. IMHO, anyway.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rico; 2007-02-09 at 02:52 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.sabre
    Sounds like a good idea to me. If you're not sure HOW to make DBs, I suggest for you to start with the New Features Tour where they take you step by step into the ways to make DBs. Also, opening the DBs in the sample folder would be good to start if you need to see how things go together.

Then, once you know how to MAKE DBs, I suggest for you to start simple. I've attached a couple of simple DBs I created to get myself acquainted with the process of DB creation. Then I moved to simple blocks within my company's library that I knew could be grouped together. Creation of annotation symbols is a great place to start. Arrows, Markers, things that require rotation etc.

Then, as you gain experience, you just simply learn how to use the tools more effectively and then you get your own ideas on how you could use DBs effectively in your company.

Patience and imagination are the order of the day. IMHO, anyway.
    I've set up quite a few DB's, as I mentioned in the last post. I was just hoping to see if someone else had created DB's for piping or wiring schematic diagrams.

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jm.pearson
    I've set up quite a few DB's, as I mentioned in the last post. I was just hoping to see if someone else had created DB's for piping or wiring schematic diagrams.
    Oh. Guess it I should have read more closely.

Still, it's a good tip for people looking to get into DB creation who have not done so yet.

Well, as Chris says so often, start a DB up and we'll critique it for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.sabre
    start a DB up and we'll critique it for you.
    I'm working on it. I'm just trying to figure out what the easiest way to do it is, or if I am that proverbial monkey in a jewelry store trying to fix it all...
    Last edited by Rico; 2007-02-09 at 02:53 AM.