Thread: Implementing CAD Standards

Login to Give a bone

Default Implementing CAD Standards

Okay,
    Although I've been at my job 12 years, and I finally talked them into using some sort of CAD version in 1997 (97LT Awesome!!!) I never really implemented any CAD standards, and now, over the years, the revolving door of draftsman that have come and gone, my drawings are full of carp. Extra layers, blocks, text styles, etc. What's the best way to clean them up and implement a standard. Keep in mind a lot of my buildings are very close to the same, so I have typical sets of plans I use and modify if needed. By the time you factor in different sizes and orientations, I have about 50 sets of standard plans.

Since I'm the only one left, following the standards will be easy!!! Oh, and I'm on ADT 2007 now.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Implementing CAD Standards

One way to implement your standards (I assume these have been written now) would be to use the "LayTrans" command, that will convert layers from one name to another.

Another thing that may be worth a try (it's a bit of a sledghammer this one), create a template drawing, with all your text fonts, dims styles, etc preset, create a blank drawing from that template and Insert files one at a time. As long as your text styles, etc are set to Standard, they should all ping into your new standard style. If not, use Filters to capture them all change them over, you could write a Script to do this and have a cup of tea while the computer takes the strain.

What other things have you set in your standard that you want to get straight on your drawing sets?

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

First, the best advice I can give you I got from Yoshi Honda...Do not do it all at once...As things come up and as you get some time, type for 5 minutes or so and stop...If you try to figure out how to do it all at once, you will need a straight-jacket...

Adding custom features to your standard should be done after your standard is done...Try not to add anything too new when creating your standard...If you have new ideas, write them down, but do not add them yet...

Be concise, but not too definite...Standards should be a guideline to follow...You do not want to hinder imagination...Make sure that the foundation is solid and the extra stuff sound like "it would be best if you did this"...

Your standard should flow and be a living document...If you make something definite, make sure that it can be used in all applications, otherwise make it bendable...

Make sure to add references to raining material if you have it...Truthfully, I am trying to write my standard as a training manual where any new hire can read it and understand what we are doing and train them on how to perform those standard items...

Add examples if necessary...Get your company to for over $40 for Snagit...It is well worth the money...You can use that to capture really anything that is on the streen...It can even make videos...

This are some of the best advice that I have gotten from multiple CAD managers...I hope this helps you as much as it is helping me...

Login to Give a bone

Good tips guys. I will definately keep them in mind. I haven't actually written any standards down yet. I'm mainly thinking of cleaning up my drawings first. With all the blocks and nested items, half the layers I don't use won't delete. Any ideas?

Is there a CAD standard anywhere that I can go off of and use for inspiration?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto
    Good tips guys. I will definately keep them in mind. I haven't actually written any standards down yet. I'm mainly thinking of cleaning up my drawings first. With all the blocks and nested items, half the layers I don't use won't delete. Any ideas?

Here is the one that I am working on...It is not finished, but It will get you started...I "had" to strip the Company logos, so please ignore the HUGE blank at the top of each page...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre
    Here is the one that I am working on...It is not finished, but It will get you started...I "had" to strip the Company logos, so please ignore the HUGE blank at the top of each page...
    I appreciate that. That looks good, do you ever draw?

I noticed you have a VPORT layer. I put mine on layer 0, then set that layer to not plot, since I don't put anything on it anyway, except when I create blocks, but then they go on whatever layer they need to go on. Do you see a problem with that?

Any ideas on a good way to clean up drawings with old layers and such?

Login to Give a bone

I appreciate that. That looks good, do you ever draw?

I noticed you have a VPORT layer. I put mine on layer 0, then set that layer to not plot, since I don't put anything on it anyway, except when I create blocks, but then they go on whatever layer they need to go on. Do you see a problem with that?

Any ideas on a good way to clean up drawings with old layers and such?
    Thanks!!! I have been working on that since I got back from AU...

Well the VPORTS layer is actually so we can get to them when we need them...We turn it off and on...I have no problem with the 0 layer, but when you have multiple viewports, it is hard to get things straight...

Really I am the only "drafter" here...Everyone else helps me out with the easy drawings...Most of our stuff is templates, so there is not that much drawing involved...Except when we get something that is not standard or one of our products that is used in a different way than usual...

We work with Arch & Theatrical dimming...I am starting to develop a system where wires and the controls that use those wires are on the same layer...That way if I have an theater with house lights and theatrical lights using the same dimming racks, I can freeze the Arch controls and focus on the Theatrical and vice versa...But that is a personal thing that I am trying out...The main designer likes to use colors, but he is kind of Old School...I try to combine the 2...

As for getting rid of old layers, if they are not on the purge dialog, then they are most likely nested within blocks...Truthfully you have a long and tedious task ahead and you sir, I do not envy...The only way I can think of is to edit each of the blocks in the drawing...With the Blockeditor it is actually easy to manipulate bunches within the same drawing...

If you really want to fix up the drawings, come in on a few weekends and do it...I would not recommend doing it during business hours, unless you have a big chunk of spare time...It will take a while...

If you have any overlapping lines and some such, I find the overkill command has wonderful results...However, depending on the size of the drawing, it may take a while...I have my machine running for over an hour when I ran that command...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre
    Thanks!!! I have been working on that since I got back from AU...

Well the VPORTS layer is actually so we can get to them when we need them...We turn it off and on...I have no problem with the 0 layer, but when you have multiple viewports, it is hard to get things straight...

Really I am the only "drafter" here...Everyone else helps me out with the easy drawings...Most of our stuff is templates, so there is not that much drawing involved...Except when we get something that is not standard or one of our products that is used in a different way than usual...

We work with Arch & Theatrical dimming...I am starting to develop a system where wires and the controls that use those wires are on the same layer...That way if I have an theater with house lights and theatrical lights using the same dimming racks, I can freeze the Arch controls and focus on the Theatrical and vice versa...But that is a personal thing that I am trying out...The main designer likes to use colors, but he is kind of Old School...I try to combine the 2...

As for getting rid of old layers, if they are not on the purge dialog, then they are most likely nested within blocks...Truthfully you have a long and tedious task ahead and you sir, I do not envy...The only way I can think of is to edit each of the blocks in the drawing...With the Blockeditor it is actually easy to manipulate bunches within the same drawing...

If you really want to fix up the drawings, come in on a few weekends and do it...I would not recommend doing it during business hours, unless you have a big chunk of spare time...It will take a while...

If you have any overlapping lines and some such, I find the overkill command has wonderful results...However, depending on the size of the drawing, it may take a while...I have my machine running for over an hour when I ran that command...
    Good excuse to take a long lunch! I knew when we first stared using CAD I should have set them up, but laziness got the best of me. Seems to happen a lot. Well, I can always save it as something else, clean it up, then when I'm sure its fine, replace the original with it. All it takes is time and the willingness to do it I suppose. Most of them came in when I used an architects blocks for plumbing symbols. It was a long time ago and he already had them drawn so I figured why not. I should checked them first!!! Oh well, this is what I get paid to do.

Thanks for your help with this. I'll probably be asking more questions later.

Login to Give a bone

[ SNIP ]

Hi

Try searching this actual forum [ CAD Standards ], you should find / uncover numerous examples...

Have a good one, Mike