Thread: 'World first' quantum computer set to debut next week

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default 'World first' quantum computer set to debut next week

for all those who have the need of speed: found a nice article on the register

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02...um_first_demo/

A Canadian start-up says it will demonstrate a working commercial quantum computer in Mountain View next week, years ahead of many experts' predictions.

Venture capital-funded to the tune of $20m, Vancouver-based D-Wave says it has built a quantum computer with 16 qubits - the quantum world's version of a digital bit, but which simultaneously encodes 1 and 0, so can carry more information and solve problems more quickly.
    D-Wave's claims have met with some practical and mathematical skepticism from the quantum-computing community, wary of over-hyping the technology. There's a taster of that doubt here at the Quantum Pontiff blog.

With just the 16 qubits, the device, known as Orion, will not have the brawn to perform factoring of the extremely large numbers which underly cryptography. The number-crunching feat has IT security firms and spooks afraid their current encryption technologies will be rendered obselete when a quantum computer with hundreds of qubits arrives.

According to D-Wave CTO Dr Geordie Rose's blog, the firm's roadmap calls for the construction of a 1,000 qubit machine in 2008.

D-Wave will demonstrate two applications for its quantum computer remotely on a machine at its headquarters in British Columbia. The first is a pattern-matching problem derived from molecular databases, while the second will tackle assigning seats to people under constraints, wedding reception style. Its speed at 16 qubits should be roughly similar to standard computers.

All will be revealed at the Computer History Museum on Tuesday. The event will be filmed and posted to D-Wave's website.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 'World first' quantum computer set to debut next week

I read that too.
    http://www.canada.com/topics/technol...06a7d9&k=22576
    It all seemed pretty grand until I got to the bottom of the story and read the last part

The computer's critical components are 16 all-but-invisible micro-circuits made of niobium, a rare metal that has super-efficient, hyper-conductive properties when cooled to an extremely low temperature — nearly absolute zero, or -270 C. The 16 quantum bits or "qubits" fit on a microchip smaller than the head of a pin. But the cooling solution for the computer — liquid helium — is held in a vault about the size of a large household freezer

Just when I'm getting used to lugging aroud my 17" laptop