See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ordering your free Autodesk documentation.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Ordering your free Autodesk documentation.

Once upon a time, AutoCAD had what was arguably the best software documentation on the planet. My R11 package measures 6.5"x9.5"x12", and contained the software, hardcover book, media, drivers documentation, and customization documentation

Today, my Map3D 2008 entire delivery is a DVD case, with slips of paper and a couple of CDs inside.

It's not about customer service, and it's definitely not about saving trees. It's about shaving Adesk's real cost for software delivery, and increasing the bonuses of the honchos. The delivered software package has lost substantial value to the end-user, and if you want to be able to read any of the documentation, you can burn out your eyes on-screen, or kill a whole bunch of trees printing out single-sided letter pages, substantially increasing your cost of ownership.

And frankly, the quality of the writing has suffered. Editing, cohesiveness, and completeness are not substantial concerns anymore. More fluff, less content.

They got away with it, and increased the price.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Ordering your free Autodesk documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Once upon a time, AutoCAD had what was arguably the best software documentation on the planet. My R11 package measures 6.5"x9.5"x12", and contained the software, hardcover book, media, drivers documentation, and customization documentation

Today, my Map3D 2008 entire delivery is a DVD case, with slips of paper and a couple of CDs inside...
    I have that same box sitting in storage.

Up through 2002 I bought every "Documentation Pack" for every release. It was just an additional $50.00 and gave me all the guides in hard-copy. My latest reseller told me the Doc Pack is no longer and each book is now individually priced at a substantially higher price than when they were included all together.

More technology, more function, less documentation.

"Hummm, how do I do that?" has turned from "Let's grab my handy little books." to "Alright, let's see what Google can show me.".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123