Thread: Fields not updating on layout tabs

Login to Give a bone

Default Fields not updating on layout tabs

This regards both sheet sets and fields. This is a composite of a couple earlier questions/posts, so please forgive the added post.

As I understand Sheet Sets, each layout is independent each other. As in, a redefination of the border block in drawing A does not affect drawing B. The border block, mind you, not the field or sheetset numberings.

The problem is this:
    As our project hits different phases, the border must change to accomidate multiple engineer stamps, special copyrights, whatever. Certainly a Dynamic block can accomidate alot, but with so many variants and numerous pages, we would love to continue our style of x-ref'ing one project specific border.

I have x-ref'd our border into the layout of my drawings. However, the fields simply do not update to reflect the sheet number, nor title, nor any other. I have verified field update parameters, and tried numerous variations -
    • Border is numerous objects, some of which are text containing fields. These fields reference SheetPlaceHolder -> SheetNumber.... etc.
    • As above, but the fields reference CurrentSheetNumber
    • Blocked the border into one object, containing the text fields with both variants as above
    • Blocked the border, containing attributes to replace the text fields, with both reference variants
    The fields simply won't update for me. Surely, I am missing something obvious. Using templates and other techniques only sets things up from the beginning. But needing to change existing drawings which contain multiple instances of the same geometry is clearly the glory of X-refs.

To note - we currently use fields to reference drawing properties which are modified via a lisp routine. The border and geometry are all in model space. These fields work famously. This leads me to believe there is something hokey about how the SSM handles fields embeded in X-Refs.

Any thoughts?

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Fields not updating on layout tabs

Quote Originally Posted by keelay711
    This regards both sheet sets and fields. This is a composite of a couple earlier questions/posts, so please forgive the added post.

As I understand Sheet Sets, each layout is independent each other. As in, a redefination of the border block in drawing A does not affect drawing B. The border block, mind you, not the field or sheetset numberings.

The problem is this:
    As our project hits different phases, the border must change to accomidate multiple engineer stamps, special copyrights, whatever. Certainly a Dynamic block can accomidate alot, but with so many variants and numerous pages, we would love to continue our style of x-ref'ing one project specific border.

I have x-ref'd our border into the layout of my drawings. However, the fields simply do not update to reflect the sheet number, nor title, nor any other. I have verified field update parameters, and tried numerous variations -
    • Border is numerous objects, some of which are text containing fields. These fields reference SheetPlaceHolder -> SheetNumber.... etc.
    • Blocked the border into one object, containing the text fields with both variants as above
    • Blocked the border, containing attributes to replace the text fields, with both reference variants
    The fields simply won't update for me. Surely, I am missing something obvious. Using templates and other techniques only sets things up from the beginning. But needing to change existing drawings which contain multiple instances of the same geometry is clearly the glory of X-refs.

To note - we currently use fields to reference drawing properties which are modified via a lisp routine. The border and geometry are all in model space. These fields work famously. This leads me to believe there is something hokey about how the SSM handles fields embeded in X-Refs.

Any thoughts?
    Now, I'm not experienced when it comes to the SSM (haven't used it in my company ... yet)

but I know of a system setting that might affect how fields are being updated ....

Check your FIELDEVAL and make sure it's set to 31. This setting will allow updating of fields upon saves, e-transmits, plots and opening of files.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Rico
    Now, I'm not experienced when it comes to the SSM (haven't used it in my company ... yet)

but I know of a system setting that might affect how fields are being updated ....

Check your FIELDEVAL and make sure it's set to 31. This setting will allow updating of fields upon saves, e-transmits, plots and opening of files.
    Aye, laddie. I gots me variable set correctly. Even be updatin' it manually with the Updatefield command. Bloody field hates this scullywag, me thinks.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by keelay711

The problem is this:

Any thoughts?
    you shouldn't embed the SSM fields in XREF's... they need to be attributes (if in a block form) in the sheet file itself. that's why you're having troubles, i think.

can you work your xref around the fields for the sheet?
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum