Thread: MVparts Layers

Login to Give a bone

Default MVparts Layers

I am trying to insert a Valve (Layer: M-HVAC-PIPE-EQPM-N) on to a pipe(Layer: M-CWTR-SUPP-PIPE-N).

I want the valve to know what pipeing system it is connecting to and place it on that piping layer...

Is there anyway to make that valve be on the same layer as the pipe instead of its own layer?

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: MVparts Layers

Hi ndbrainard (Sorry I don't know your name)

I've looked into your issue/problem and I don't see an easy way to do what you want. MvParts use a layer key specified in the part definition to determine what layer they are inserted on. I'm sure some of the wizards on this site could write a code that would look at the pipe system a valve is inserted on and change the valve to the layer associated with the system but I don't know how to do this.

It's kind of a simplistic approach but you could just use match properties to change the layers of the valves after you insert them.

Sorry I couldn't be of help,
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stelthorst
    Hi ndbrainard (Sorry I don't know your name)

I've looked into your issue/problem and I don't see an easy way to do what you want. MvParts use a layer key specified in the part definition to determine what layer they are inserted on. I'm sure some of the wizards on this site could write a code that would look at the pipe system a valve is inserted on and change the valve to the layer associated with the system but I don't know how to do this.

It's kind of a simplistic approach but you could just use match properties to change the layers of the valves after you insert them.

Sorry I couldn't be of help,
    DISCLAIMER: I do not use ABS, just ADT. [Please pardon the obvious ignorance below.]

If MVParts behave at all like Multi-View Blocks, you may be able to make a copy of the part file [do MVParts have separate AEC Content files for each part??] or the "part tool" [is there such a thing??] and create a new content file/part tool that has the desired layer key specified. If you have a lot of valve types and a lot of different piping systems, that could mean a lot of files/tools, which is probably why the out-of-the-box setup is the way it is. Changing the layer after the fact may be the more sensible approach.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch
    DISCLAIMER: I do not use ABS, just ADT. [Please pardon the obvious ignorance below.]

If MVParts behave at all like Multi-View Blocks, you may be able to make a copy of the part file [do MVParts have separate AEC Content files for each part??] or the "part tool" [is there such a thing??] and create a new content file/part tool that has the desired layer key specified. If you have a lot of valve types and a lot of different piping systems, that could mean a lot of files/tools, which is probably why the out-of-the-box setup is the way it is. Changing the layer after the fact may be the more sensible approach.
    Hi David,

I thought of that approach too but when your talking hundreds of MvParts and dozens of piping systems the database would get HUGE. The solution would be similar to what you can currently do with conduit, cable tray,piping, and ductwork which allows you to assign a layer key to your tool palette icon. At this time you cannot do this with MvParts
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stelthorst
    Hi David,

I thought of that approach too but when your talking hundreds of MvParts and dozens of piping systems the database would get HUGE. The solution would be similar to what you can currently do with conduit, cable tray,piping, and ductwork which allows you to assign a layer key to your tool palette icon. At this time you cannot do this with MvParts
    I was afraid that would be the case. It would appear that MVParts are similar to Multi-View Blocks in that respect, as you can only set the Layer Key in the AEC Content file, not on a tool. Thanks for confirming that.

Login to Give a bone

Would it work to change your layer key style so that the layer key assigned to your valve uses the same layer as your pipes?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by benf
    Would it work to change your layer key style so that the layer key assigned to your valve uses the same layer as your pipes?
    The only way I see that working would be to copy your fitting libraries multiple times and then assign a different layer key to each copy. Unfortunately, that would be very cumbersome considering all of the different piping systems and fittings there are and I think it would make your catalogs huge.
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: MVparts Layers

Hello Friend,
    Your question is when you inserting your Valve on to a pipe then valve is automatically convert in to that layer is it?
    If I’m not wrong then you have to customize your won layer. like you have to create new layer style.
    In your Layer Manager. Ones you create new layer style then update in your style Manager.
    You can select any services for that layer. After you have to go on your Drawing Setup & then select Layering Tab option after go to Default Layer key Standard. Select your Layer Key Style. Then click on Apply .
    Whenever you Draw your Pipe automatically that custom layer also display & when you insert any MV Part on that pipe you will see the MV part also on that Layer.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by prashantspalande View Post
    Hello Friend,
    Your question is when you inserting your Valve on to a pipe then valve is automatically convert in to that layer is it?
    If I’m not wrong then you have to customize your won layer. like you have to create new layer style.
    In your Layer Manager. Ones you create new layer style then update in your style Manager.
    You can select any services for that layer. After you have to go on your Drawing Setup & then select Layering Tab option after go to Default Layer key Standard. Select your Layer Key Style. Then click on Apply .
    Whenever you Draw your Pipe automatically that custom layer also display & when you insert any MV Part on that pipe you will see the MV part also on that Layer.
    I think if you leave the layer key undefined then it will insert the part onto the active layer. Just make sure that your active layer is the pipe system that you are inserting the mvpart onto.