Thread: Graphic Overrides in Phasing

Login to Give a bone

Default Graphic Overrides in Phasing

In Revit 9.1 For some reason I cannot get the material graphic override function to work correctly for the existing phase status. The masonry wall, for instance, displays a concrete block surface pattern as it should in the new construction phase. But when its set to the existing phase, the graphic override should change the material to "phase existing" which has no surface pattern or cut pattern. This works in plan and section, but in elevation views the wall still shows the concrete block pattern. Does anyone out there know if this a bug or am I missing something?

All AUGI, all the time Justin Marchiel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Graphic Overrides in Phasing

this is a limitation on materials. Graphic phase overrides dont apply to surface patterns built into the materials. you will need to create a new material (called existing) and change the surface pattern color for that material.

Justin

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply Justin. Would doing that cause the material to change in the existing phase as well? The hope would be that the material would not change, just the phase. We are doing a large project (1,000,000 sf) factory building rehab to office where there are about 18 different projects going on in different phases. We want the projects to display the correct material for each phase, but appear subordinated as existing. This works for the cut pattern but not for the surface pattern which is quite dissapointing in the elevations and sections. Another item for the wish list.

Thanks Again,
    KCO

All AUGI, all the time Justin Marchiel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

sound like you got it right. no matter what the phase, surface patterns are not affected by phase. if you have multiple phases in a job, the surface pattern will not want to play nice. once you set the color, it is there for good. it wont change color from new phase as it turns to existing. this is a huge limitation as this point and it would be interresting to see what the factory has to say about it (i have only done jobs with a new and existing phase, not a new pahse that turns into existing).

As a side note, if you notice in your phase overide setting the cut pattern override is affected by the override material. if the overide material doesn't have a cut pattern neither will the existing phase items.

Justin

Login to Give a bone

Using the "Paint" tool to paint the "phase-existing" material on the surface is my current workaround to this issue. While not perfect it has the benefit of not changing the material as it displays in floor-plan view for existing, and does not require the creation of more materials. This way my 3D and elevation views can show the demo conditions for the walls without showing any hatch patterns.

Regards,
    Glynnis Patterson, Architect
    Ideate Inc.
    www.ideateinc.com

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchiel-barch
    sound like you got it right. no matter what the phase, surface patterns are not affected by phase. if you have multiple phases in a job, the surface pattern will not want to play nice. once you set the color, it is there for good. it wont change color from new phase as it turns to existing. this is a huge limitation as this point and it would be interresting to see what the factory has to say about it (i have only done jobs with a new and existing phase, not a new pahse that turns into existing).

Justin
    Its an unfortunate let down, how it acts. Im working on a project that has Existing conditions modeled, then a Phase 1, and a Phase 2. Both phases have demolition, partial demo in areas, renovation, and flat out new construction.

its tough, because im working under some very strong architects in the office, but architects who are used to their ways and not used to Revit. Once we progressed to Phase 2, they kept marking up drawings telling me to can the hatch on the Phase 1 New Construction Floors.... But i cant. Unless im missing something.

I cant change the floor type or anything, because we have revisions taking place in the Phase 1 package all the while working on the Phase 2 package to go out.

Oh well, maybe in Revit Architecture 2008...........................

Login to Give a bone

We just make different types of objects for each phaes - for instance we have "existing floor 6" " and "demo floor 6" ". For the demo floor we change the surface material to "demo hatch" which has a surface pattern of a diagonal hatch. That way when we change the portions of floor to the demo type they automatically have a hatch.