See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Do you create a separate drawing for each sheet(layout)

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. One drawing per sheet is our standard.

35 46.67%
  • No, we put multiple shhets on one drawing

15 20.00%
  • Sometimes, we use both single and multiple sheets

25 33.33%
  • What's a sheet(layout)?

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Single Layout per Drawing (Industry Standard?)

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Single Layout per Drawing (Industry Standard?)

I work for an electrical contractor and our company standard does not limit the number of layouts (sheets) associated with a drawing, in fact if I have a large building or area I prefer to keep all of the sheets associated with that floor/area on one drawing.

We just sent our as-built drawings for a project to the Architect and they refused them. They complained that we had multiple sheets on a drawing and stated;

"One AutoCAD sheet per drawing is the industry standard."

I've looked at the Tri-Service CADD standards and this issue is not addressed. I do not have a copy of the AIA CAD standards so I'm not sure if it's addressed there.

Does anyone have a copy of this standard that they can look up to see if it's in AIA? Also, are there other standards out there that may address this issue.

I've searched the forums and found several threads that address this issue and my conclusion from reading these threads is every company establishes their own standard about sheet creation. I think I'll include a poll in this thread just to summarize what everyone thinks.

Thanks in advance for the input,
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Single Layout per Drawing (Industry Standard?)

Whether it is "Industry Standard" or not. The Architect does not want your plans to have multiple layout tabs. You might try this thread, "Convert multiple layouts to individual drawing files," to help you convert your drawings.

We use one layout per drawing most of the time. This allows more than one drafter to work on a set of plans. The rare occasion to use more than one layout is for our Construction Stakeout work drawing which only one person will use. There are probably others, but allowing more than one drafter to work on a set of plans usually reduces the need for multiple layouts per drawing.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie
    Whether it is "Industry Standard" or not. The Architect does not want your plans to have multiple layout tabs. You might try this thread, "Convert multiple layouts to individual drawing files," to help you convert your drawings.

We use one layout per drawing most of the time. This allows more than one drafter to work on a set of plans. The rare occasion to use more than one layout is for our Construction Stakeout work drawing which only one person will use. There are probably others, but allowing more than one drafter to work on a set of plans usually reduces the need for multiple layouts per drawing.
    Using multiple layouts you could have the drafter copy the drawing and work on a layout, then use design center to import the layout? That is what we do. Since our engineering drawings are the stakeout drawings as well. We also assign specific layers for the draftsmen to work on so no one person works on the other persons layer... but that doesn't always work correctly.

My previous employer did the above mentioned one drawing for each layout, and it seemed like there was always something that was done on one drawing, and not the other...
    Last edited by GuinnessCAD; 2007-02-14 at 05:46 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the link Opie. The lisp included will save me time in the future.

This Architect and I have been going round and round for the entire project. If it were anyone else I would have happily complied to their request but these people have made me cranky.

Our specifications do not specify how the drawings should be submitted with the exception of file format. (R2000) I just wanted to know if this truly was an "industry standard" or if they were just continuing to give me a hard time.

Since we're a contractor and this is the last thing that needs to be done before we get paid I'll probably end up breaking up the drawings.
    Last edited by stelthorst; 2007-02-14 at 07:51 PM.
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Login to Give a bone

If it's not in the contract, bill him extra, and get an agreement beforehand to pay for the time. Why should you eat the labor when it's his late-breaking requirement?? He can certainly massage any electronic files he receives from you any way he want, on his nickel.

Industry standard - AFAIK there is no industry wide standard that addresses it. If he's claiming there is, it's obviously a claim he can back up with documentary evidence from an international or national standards organization, (not just the circle of people he usually works with). Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

Login to Give a bone

For civil construction drawings we use one layout per drawing.
    For exhibits for reports, easements, encroachment permits as many layouts as necessary to present information for the particular report as one individual is usually responsible for the production of these documents.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by marklabell
    Using multiple layouts you could have the drafter copy the drawing and work on a layout, then use design center to import the layout? That is what we do. Since our engineering drawings are the stakeout drawings as well. We also assign specific layers for the draftsmen to work on so no one person works on the other persons layer... but that doesn't always work correctly.

My previous employer did the above mentioned one drawing for each layout, and it seemed like there was always something that was done on one drawing, and not the other...
    Mark,

We put all of the design information in a model drawing. We then use sheet drawings that reference the model. All pertinent information is then placed on each sheet.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

I wouldn't say its an "industry standard", but the ADT project manager favors working that way.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

I know thats what I do, I mean, we are the architect!
    No wonder they call you "Terribl" Tim.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by TeriblTim
    They will no doubt fall back on their own standards being what you are suppose to work around if you push the issue. I know thats what I do, , I mean, we are the architect!
    ~Bows to Architect.~

Oh great one thank you for your wisdom.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Does anyone have a copy of the AIA standards to see if it addresses this issue. Basically I'll end up doing what the Architect wants but I would still like to know if there is a standard out there that addresses this issue.
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast