Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Convert VBA code to VB code

Login to Give a bone

Default Convert VBA code to VB code

I've been looking at visual basic and like the extra stuff it offers. Does anyone know if there a painless way of converting VBA code to VB code, using some third party software perhaps? Alternatively does anyone know of any place I might find comparison information/charts so that I can work through my code to convert it myself?

Thanks in advance

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Convert VBA code to VB code

I found a book: The .NET Languages: a quick translation guide. The subtitle tells it all: Learn to convert programs among VB 6.0, VB.NET and C#

The author is Brian Bischof. I found it remaindered for about $3.99 at Edward Hamilton Books.

I've opened a discussion on this topic, as I sense a lot of the VBA world is waking up to the changes coming. See my post on the future of VBA.

Login to Give a bone

Are you wanting to convert to VB6 or .Net? There really isn't much to "convert". Just export your modules from the dvb. If you have forms in your dvb, that will take some conversion, but some have written code to handle that.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Thanks guys.
    I've been writing code to provide interaction between AutoCAD and Access.
    VBA is what I have written, and VB 2005 is what I want to change to.
    I may be wrong but I gather I can get more functionality, better looking forms and controls, and the ability to package my code as a freestanding exe. VB 2005 also offers a host of automated database interaction - I can use it to get to my Access databases without having to write much code at all (OK so I'm lazy....).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by plattrj
    without having to write much code at all (OK so I'm lazy....).
    You've been listening to salesmen, right?

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Hi Ed,
    Sounds like you are trying to tell me not to bother? Maybe VBA actually has everything I need and I just haven't found it yet.
    I must say I've already achieved more with my VBA efforts than I ever thought possible, and I'm certainly delighted I made the change from Lisp (although I'm still using a lisp program to start my VBA program).

Login to Give a bone

Hi Ed,
    Sounds like you are trying to tell me not to bother? Maybe VBA actually has everything I need and I just haven't found it yet.
    I must say I've already achieved more with my VBA efforts than I ever thought possible, and I'm certainly delighted I made the change from Lisp (although I'm still using a lisp program to start my VBA program).
    Are you ready for some real fun?

Start Excel or Word from Acad VBA and take info from your drawing and dump it into Excel...

Login to Give a bone

Actually I sent my data to Excel before I tried Access. I found Access more difficult to set up but now it is done it allows me to query data more efficiently (and from more than one table at a time). I use the element (usually a polyline) handle as the key in Access so clicking on an element pops up a form with the data relevant to that element.
    I'm doing land use and masterplanning so this is already saving wads of time.
    It's a kind of mini GIS.
    What I like about VB is all the database linking automation it has prebuilt into some of the controls - hence my exploration for converting my code from VBA to VB.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Ed,
    No, I just think you have the wrong idea about .Net, specifically that you won't have to write much code. Yes .Net, or more specifically, ADO.Net, has more to offer, but that doesn't equate to less code. It seems to be just the opposite when you are dealing with the .net api for acad.

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Looks like I should just make a point of exploring VBA a bit further.
    When I looked at the extra controls that are available (the ones that aren't on the standard tab) I see that some of the database controls I've seen in .Net seem to be available for VBA as well. So I'll give these a try and see where it takes me.
    Thanks all, for the advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast