Thread: Landscape Architecture firm - Recommend an Autodesk vertical product

All AUGI, all the time CADDmanVA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Post Landscape Architecture firm - Recommend an Autodesk vertical product

I was wondering if any of the Vertical Wiz's could make a recommendation for us. We are a Landscape Architecture firm which specializes in Streetscaping and Urban Revitalization. From time to time, we also do high-end residential planning and sub-development planning. I have looked into several verticals, but none seem to fit the bill. Ideas? Thanks in advance for any input.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Landscape Architecture firm - Recommend an Autodesk vertical product

By the sounds of it, I'd suggest looking at one of the Civil packages for your subdivision work, and maybe Viz or 3ds Max for visualization.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Landscape Architecture firm - Recommend an Autodesk vertical product

Quote Originally Posted by arcadia_x27
    I'd suggest looking at one of the Civil packages for your subdivision work, and maybe Viz or 3ds Max for visualization.
    Civil may be the ticket for doing sub's, true. I'm not sure about Viz and 3DS though. We have a graphic artist to do our rendering work, and he uses SketchUp and Photoshop. The problem I'm having is I have to custom build almost everything we use (like blocks, building elements, etc.). Landscape Architecture covers such a broad (more than I ever thought in the beginning) range of sub-disciplines from other [pure] design disciplines, that it's hard to pin down exactly what we do. Thanks for your suggestions though, I'll talk to the graphics guy to see what he thinks.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

May I ask what type of functions you need to have done? Civil 3D would work for you for sure, I'm just curious if it would be overkill for your needs?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    May I ask what type of functions you need to have done? Civil 3D would work for you for sure, I'm just curious if it would be overkill for your needs?
    Overkill was my concern too. What we do is similar to engineering work, but only on the surface. We do set up retaining walls and patio foundations with most projects, but not so much that I think a civil package would be worth it.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It doesn't sound like you are necessarily looking for a vertical product as much as you are looking for content. I don't know if this would help in the least, but it (LandArch) looked interesting:

http://www.globalcad.com/system/index.html

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    It doesn't sound like you are necessarily looking for a vertical product as much as you are looking for content. I don't know if this would help in the least, but it (LandArch) looked interesting:
    Thanks for the link. From the looks of the program, we already have the same functionality in place now. We have a block library of scalable planting symbols and such, and Horticopia for botanical reference, which are both in LandArch... Looks like a cool package though, if we were starting out. Thanks for the link though.