Thread: ADT2006 - Setting Display Configuration for building levels

Login to Give a bone

Default Setting Display Configuration for building levels

I'm working in ADT2006.

I'm designing a 3-story building in ADT, and have created the building's shell separate from each level (and each level's interior information), in order for the shell to look correct when generating exterior elevations.

I've adjusted the 1st level's display configuration just fine (through the display manager) to only display the exterior wall relevant to the 1st level. That is, the floor plan is cut at 3'6" and only displays exterior wall information +/- 5'-0" above and below the cut plane. However, I can't get the 2nd and 3rd floors to display properly, even though the exterior walls run past the those floor levels, and the 3'6" cut plane should be the same and relative to each floor level (as determined by the project levels setup on project navigator). I also made sure to click on "Section AEC Object by Display Range..." in display manager under "sets" and then "plan".

Any ideas?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ADT2006 - Setting Display Configuration for building levels

First thought is to check the "Z" insertion point of the shell x-ref to be sure that it's where it should be. ie when looking at the second floor the shell x-ref should be something like -14' or what ever your floor to floor height is. When you open up your second floor plan, notice that everything has an elevation 0. When you create the "view" for the second floor, I believe that's when your level info will be applied. Just a first thought.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks - checked the insertion point and it is *negative* the floor to floor height.

When the play with the display range variables, it seems (at least prematurely) that I must increase the display range until it includes the bottom of the exterior at the first floor, in order for anything to display at all. It seems I'm not setting it correctly so that it just cuts through the floor level and displays only a certain range below the cut line (like a building section).

Login to Give a bone

It seems that the cut plane information for curtainwalls, walls, etc. is located at the base of these respective objects. If the display range extends enough to go below the base of these objects, then they will show up. If the display range extends to just above the base of these objects, they don't show up at all. Shouldn't there just be a way to cut through a wall or curtainwall [in plan] and display what that object looks like at that cut line? (not a question to anyone in particular) I'm thinking this should be a process exactly like how building sections are cut and displayed, except in plan view.

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi meierj, (Sorry I don't know your name)

Thanks for the follow-up on your solution. I'm sure the information you provided will help someone else who is encountering the same problems/issues.

I tend to agree with your statement about cut planes. Autodesk likes to give people many options in an attempt to please everyone but sometimes these additional options can make what should be a simple issue more complicated.
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Login to Give a bone

Sorry, that wasn't a solution, just me talking aloud on my progress. I'm still having trouble setting the display right for each floor level, but I'm continuing to work on it. Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by meierj
    Sorry, that wasn't a solution, just me talking aloud on my progress. I'm still having trouble setting the display right for each floor level, but I'm continuing to work on it. Thanks
    My bad

I use ABS and don't usually draw many walls. I do however like messing with display problems/issues. Is there a way you can post an example drawing(s). and I'll take a look at it.
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Login to Give a bone

This is the first time attaching a file, but here it is. It's the 2nd floor interior file, and the exterior shell is xrefed into the interior file at 0,0,-12'-6" (z coordinate) as it would be in ADT.

If that doesn't work, I don't want to waste anymore of your time. I really appreciate your offer to help, so thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Hi meierj,

I finally had a chance to look at your drawings.

I was having the same problems/issues as you. However, I found THIS thread on the Autodesk website. I imported the OOTB Medium Detail display representation into both drawings and everything seems to be working correctly. If you want me to post back the drawings with the modifications let me know. Please note I did this work in ABS2007.1 so you may have problems in ADT2006 with the files I created.
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Login to Give a bone

Thank you stelthorst! I will try that and get back to you.