See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharing cadd knowledge within the company?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sharing cadd knowledge within the company?

Quote Originally Posted by tedg
    I searched the threads and didn't see anything about this.
    Does anyone out there work at a place where you have some advanced AutoCAD users with allot of knowledge, tips and tricks and some not so expereienced users who really need some help?

Well I do, and I was wondering if anyone has ever created a system or forum for sharing knowledge at the workplace so newbies can be brought up to speed and the advaced users can share advanced stuff?

I'm referring to the many ways to do things, (tricks, etc.) not necessarily within the company's cadd standards.

I was initially thinking of a weekly (or monthly) meeting for the cadd operators to discuss problems and solutions. Mostly I'm thinking of those inexperienced users that only know of one way of doing something, or maybe not at all. I consider myself an advanced user, and I'm still learning new ways of doing things as well as re-discovering old commands I forgot about.

Any thought on this?

Thanks
    At the firm, I am at now, I am the like the only real CAD expertise that knows really how far CAD can go. There are actually designers that use CAD for their projects, but they don't really know all the tips and tricks to CAD. But I have suggested having meetings every couple of months to broaden everyone's perspective about CAD.

I could stop if I wanted to Comach's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg
    I searched the threads and didn't see anything about this.
    Does anyone out there work at a place where you have some advanced AutoCAD users with allot of knowledge, tips and tricks and some not so expereienced users who really need some help?

Well I do, and I was wondering if anyone has ever created a system or forum for sharing knowledge at the workplace so newbies can be brought up to speed and the advaced users can share advanced stuff?
    Not too dissimilar to some of replies above, we encourage our experienced users to write Technotes covering techniques, development ideas, tips, tricks etc. This is maintained in a central location of our network that everyone can have access to.

We store the originals separately and have the public copies available as PDF files so people can comment and review. It also makes it easy to maintain an index for these files.

Login to Give a bone

We have Training sessions every other Wednesday at lunch. Management has realized that the cost of lunch for 20 twice a month is low when measured against the benefits. We have lost most of our dinosaurs (just the CAD manager and Standards Development team left) so this is not a problem here. We have always been on the bleeding edge and I am pushed every training session to show something new.

I also have someone who asks me a good question develop the answer and present it in a future session. This system has worked very well for about two years. We are closer to avoiding the draftsman floating out into never-never land.

Login to Give a bone

Daily one-on-one desk help
    +
    Weekly CAD Tip emailings (placed into a PDF archive on the network)
    +
    Bi-weekly brown bag lunch sessions
    +
    Quarterly updates in the Office newsletter
    +
    sprinkled with newbie crash courses as needed

Login to Give a bone

I work for a company that has well over 200 CAD users worldwide. I had the problem (before I became CAD Manager) of having to do my work plus answer all of the questions via email that anyone else had. I found myself answering the same questions over and over again. My solution was to create a Monthly ACAD newsletter that I send out via Company intranet website. I send an email telling them that the new newsletter is ready for reading and place a hyperlink that points to the intranet location.

My newsletter has the first part as a Tip of the Month section and then I have a smaller section that I called Questions and Answers. That part I place the most commonly asked question from that month and the resolution. I have found that my users started out not really paying too much attention to it at first but now if I am a day or two late publishing it they all email me asking when it will be out. It has really helped my users a lot. I am not the only one that adds the Tip of the Month either. I have a lot of people that email me telling me of something that would be great as a tip for the next newsletter. I also added comics at the end as a joke of the month type of idea. That is usually the very first thing everyone reads (much to my dismay) but then they will go dive into the tips.

Of course the only draw back to this approach is that you commit yourself to a never ending cycle of newsletters. You may want to start quarterly and expand on it as needed.

Login to Give a bone

Like some others here have mentioned, we too just recently launched an internal IT blog for sharing of tips, tricks, how-to's, etc. Blogs are great for bringing things to people's attention. I'm also looking into setting up an internal Wiki, but I'd like to figure out the organization of it first. Anyone here who has set up and/or use a corporate Wiki (that's more than just CAD) have any suggestions on how to structure its content?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jlpeterson73
    Like some others here have mentioned, we too just recently launched an internal IT blog for sharing of tips, tricks, how-to's, etc. Blogs are great for bringing things to people's attention. I'm also looking into setting up an internal Wiki, but I'd like to figure out the organization of it first. Anyone here who has set up and/or use a corporate Wiki (that's more than just CAD) have any suggestions on how to structure its content?
    The point of a wiki is that there is no real organisation, treat it like a database and you won't go far wrong.

The wiki I set up is linked to in my sig (WikCadPedia).

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Hall
    Zoomharis...........here is the list.

I have quite a few tips that I need to add to this list when I get some free time at work.
    Like that ever happens!

I have been following Augi for quite some time and could make a good summary
    for all the tips and tricks I have picked up.

Ask and ye' shall deliver.
    That list was pretty cool. It's amazing how many commands there are that you don't know about.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Firedrake4
    I work for a company that has well over 200 CAD users worldwide. I had the problem (before I became CAD Manager) of having to do my work plus answer all of the questions via email that anyone else had. I found myself answering the same questions over and over again. My solution was to create a Monthly ACAD newsletter that I send out via Company intranet website. I send an email telling them that the new newsletter is ready for reading and place a hyperlink that points to the intranet location.

My newsletter has the first part as a Tip of the Month section and then I have a smaller section that I called Questions and Answers. That part I place the most commonly asked question from that month and the resolution. I have found that my users started out not really paying too much attention to it at first but now if I am a day or two late publishing it they all email me asking when it will be out. It has really helped my users a lot. I am not the only one that adds the Tip of the Month either. I have a lot of people that email me telling me of something that would be great as a tip for the next newsletter. I also added comics at the end as a joke of the month type of idea. That is usually the very first thing everyone reads (much to my dismay) but then they will go dive into the tips.

Of course the only draw back to this approach is that you commit yourself to a never ending cycle of newsletters. You may want to start quarterly and expand on it as needed.
    Is there anyway you could put that hyperlink in AUGI for the rest of us to see?

It would be greatly appreciated.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

The main thing we do around here is the occasional seminar from a nearby college and searching the internet. When somebody discovers something worth mentioning they email it to everybody.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast