Thread: GPS into Civil

Login to Give a bone

Default GPS into Civil

How can I input points from a handheld GPS unit into Civil 3d? Any ideas?

Civil Engineering Moderator civil3Dguide's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: GPS into Civil

Does the unit have any way of outputting the points? What formats can it use to do this? Is it more points than you can type in?

Login to Give a bone

I do not have a specific GPS unit yet pick out, but am looking for quick ways to input some GPS points into our CAD drawings. I have mainly used AutoCAD and have just recently started experimenting with Civil 3d and GIS information. How can I type the points into CAD?

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

For easiest entry, set the unit to give you decimal degrees (NOT degrees and decimal minutes) and put the points into a spreadsheet, then save as .csv (comma separated values). You can include point numbers if you like, too. The resulting .csv text file can be brought in with the import points command. Be sure to set a coordinate system for your drawing first, and tell the import function that the .csv file is in WGS84 Lat-Long coordinates and to perform coordinate conversion.

Some GPS units can give you points in UTM coordinates rather than latlong, and you could do a similar import there.

If the GPS can give you lat/long in NAD27 datum, you could also input the values directly using the 'LL transparent command. Here you can even take degrees/minutes/seconds input or degrees and decimal minutes, but don't do it with the GPS's standard WGS84 datum output.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by JERIMINUCKOLLS
    I do not have a specific GPS unit yet pick out, but am looking for quick ways to input some GPS points into our CAD drawings. I have mainly used AutoCAD and have just recently started experimenting with Civil 3d and GIS information. How can I type the points into CAD?
    To just Type them in, Go to the Points Pulldown menu and the Create Points - Manual It will ask for the X,Y and Z of each point that you want to add. If your GPS unit can export to ASCII you can always Import the file using whatever format you have created (or the standard ones available, such as PNEZD space or comma delimited).