Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NPR Spanish Revival

All AUGI, all the time BillyGrey's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default NPR Spanish Revival

A color/material study modeled 100% in Revit (still the best modeling tool for this type of work I have ever used, including documentation) and painted in Piranesi.

C&C's are very welcome and appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: NPR Spanish Revival

Very nice. What kind of image from Revit did you start with?

Login to Give a bone

Hi Truevis,

I modeled everything in Revit, then exported a 3d view of the whole model to a DWG format. From there, I imported the DWG model into Sketch-Up, which I used to clean up artifact linework (which there usually is in a DWG export), composed my point of view, and applied shadows. During the last 2 steps, I exported one image of shadows only as a jpeg, which I applied later as a "multiply" layer in Photoshop, and I exported a model only image in the epix format for painting in Piranesi. I kept both image formats at the same resolution (somewhere around 5000 pixels).

Once I had the epix image in Piranesi, I painted the individual wall/material/sky "faces", and added entourage. When I was happy with everything, I brought my painted image as a base layer into Photoshop, copied and pasted in case I needed to perform any post prod. clean-up, then applied the shadow layer over all in the multiply layer mode, and adjusted opacity to suit my taste.

That's about it, other than developing a painterly style.

Check out the Piranesi gallery and user forum gallery. If you dig NPR, there are stunning examples there for inspiration. Also, the SU forum gallery has some great imagery/info on technique.

I'll be more than happy to share any other info if you are curious.

Thanks
    Last edited by BillyGrey; 2007-03-11 at 06:53 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGrey
    Once I had the epix image in Piranesi, I painted the individual wall/material/sky "faces", and added entourage. When I was happy with everything, I brought my painted image as a base layer into Photoshop, copied and pasted in case I needed to perform any post prod. clean-up, then applied the shadow layer over all in the multiply layer mode, and adjusted opacity to suit my taste.
    Billy, thanks a ton for posting some real work! I've got some questions about your workflow with Piranesi, mostly about why the round-trip from Photoshop, to it, and then back? I've always wanted to take a closer look at Piranesi, but Photoshop and Illustrator (so far) has mostly met my needs for image working. Are you just using Piranesi for it's superior painting tools, or are there more features you can tell us about that make it valuable as part of your workflow and faster than just doing it all in Photoshop?

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: NPR Spanish Revival

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey McGrew
    mostly about why the round-trip from Photoshop, to it, and then back?
    Whoops, ...I was unclear in my language (prolly cause there is always so much of it).

I don't round trip to PS, I only use it to finish off my imagery.

"Uh-Oh, Here Comes The Long View"

After importing my dwg model into SU, I export a "shadows on" only view of my composed shot, with all other material/linework turned off, and set it aside. Then I export out an epix format image of the building at the same res. as my shadow jpeg, with the linework on, and all materials/shadows turned off and open that in Piranesi for painting. After painting in Piranesi, I open both in PS in order to overlay the shadows onto the colored building, and do any post prod. clean-up if ness.

As far as the "why" for Piranesi, it's about the differences between how the 2 prog's work,
    Piranesi is architecture specific, but also, it's where I'm cutting my teeth in arch renderings.

"The Way Piranesi Paints"

When exporting a camera view from Sketch-Up to Piranesi in the epix format, even though the image is flattened to a 2d, all of the 3d planar and material assignment information is preserved (even though all materials were turned off visibly in the epix export). It knows when wall is a wall, and requires no masking to keep things neat during painting.

So typically, I will paint all of my walls by plane, esp. if I am using visible brush strokes, move onto the roof coloring and paint by material (which is typ. for me regarding most curved surfaces, the tile in this example), paint the windows by plane for glass and by material for mulls, etc. It's really sweet/fast in that respect. But painting the surfaces can be a pita if they are brought in sloppy, or one material is assigned to to many surfaces.

So to boil it down and hush my gush, here it is:

1) Revit:

Modelling only

2) SU:

a) Clean up/fix missing poly's/smooth artifact linework that always follows a dwg export

b) Compose camera views

c) Generate shadow overlay

d) (this next step is not always ness. but helps on complex models)

Use paint can/simple colors of various shades to apply quick, non-specific but different materials to model walls/areas where materials will be painted:
    it saves a load of time after getting model into Piranesi

3) Piranesi:

Paint (use ink or other modes to build colors, differ translucency's), add entourage, then export a jpeg

4) PS

Open the painted image, open then lay the shadow image over the painted image in multiply layer mode and adjust opacity to flavor, (maybe throw a filter on the shadows like the free DC Special "Beyond Edger" for that "extra something"; see shadow edges, they are paint pooled, although it shows better in print and higher screen res.), then perform any final clean-up where needed. Save as a giant high res. layered up .psd, and export as you will.

End of story.

( I guess on some levels you are right Jeffrey, what the hell else could I be doing with all this time I spend here? But it beats the hell out of drooling on a pillow in a state of tele-hypnosis (until my shows start anyway).
    Last edited by BillyGrey; 2007-03-12 at 03:40 AM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Nice work Billy, did you model the roof tiles in Revit? can you explain a little bit how?

Login to Give a bone

Yes, I modeled them in Revit. I have a few tiles set up with attached voids on their corners so I can adjust for hip/valley conditions. I just go into the fam's before I begin and adjust the tiles for roof pitch, then place on roof. I am sure this could be handled in family, but sometimes I just roll with what I have :)

Once you have a bunch in place, you can begin to cut and place larger groups of the tiles, and/or run arrays on rows of tiles to suit you needs. Also, on this rendering I only tiled what is visible in the view because as you can imagine, it can get a bit tedious. I think it is well worth the result though :).
    Last edited by BillyGrey; 2007-03-19 at 03:17 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGrey
    ( I guess on some levels you are right Jeffrey, what the hell else could I be doing with all this time I spend here? But it beats the hell out of drooling on a pillow in a state of tele-hypnosis (until my shows start anyway).
    No man, thanks a ton for sharing. I always love to hear about people's workflows, and I've always been interested in Parinisi too. Thanks for the great post.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Another way to model a clay tile roof as discussed in several threads is to use a glazed roof, mullions set a 8" apart and use a s-tile shape for the mullion profile. Will generate a 3 dimensional roof. Use a second roof under the clay tile for the actual structural support, then use a roof fascia on the lower roof, (offset to show appropriately on the upper roof) for ridge and valley conditions.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Hi South how are you? I heard that method before but I never seen a sample or a family can you show us some samples of that roof or maybe share that family?
    I have been shamefully using Archicad built-in roof finishing tool for that purposed.
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast