Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Modeless" Layer Dialog

AutoCAD Product Manager eric.stover's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default "Modeless" Layer Dialog

Gang,

One of the latest tools we are investigating is a layer manager dialog that will stay on screen while your performing your design work. Any change you make in the dialog would have an instant effect on your drawing - the moment you click on APPLY, the changes would become permanent (UNDO would obviously return you to a previous state.) Even after the APPLY button is pressed, the layer manager would still be on screen.

This would be useful for folks with a dual or wide screen monitor setup, plus it would roll-up when not in use for those who would like that functionality (or who have a single monitor.)

The goal of this feature would be to eliminate the need to constant open the layer mgr, toggle settings, then close the mgr and return to your work.

Sound interesting? What would you use it for? (be as detailed as possible in your use case)

Thanks!

Eric

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: "Modeless" Layer Dialog

~raises hand~

Yes please!!!! A tool palette version of the layer manager would be soooo wonderful. I would use that instead of the current layer toolbar. In fact, if the Layer II toolbar buttons and the buttons contained on the regular Layer toolbar were included on the palette, that would be even sweeter.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: "Modeless" Layer Dialog

That sounds interesting Eric. I think I could use it for quite a few things.

As a Facility Manager, I'm frequently cleaning up existing drawings... with blocks and nested blocks and attributes, yada yada... sometimes I find myself adjusting my layers back and forth, trying to leave only the ones that I need (or don't need, rather) so that I can deal with them as necessary.

An example would be when taking a new Architectural Renovation plan and needing update my Complex's Base Floor Plans. I want to just copy and paste, but, first I go through and freeze all of the layers that I won't need (furniture, reflected ceiling grids, office equipment, room tags, dimensions, etc.), it is easy to overlook things, so I find myself repeatedly referring back to the layer manager.

It might also help with regards to xref layers being visually manipulated, as I normally filter them and exclude them from the layer dropdown... which forces me to use the layer manager to turn them off or on if I decide I need them.

Quote Originally Posted by eric.stover
    Gang,

One of the latest tools we are investigating is a layer manager dialog that will stay on screen while your performing your design work. Any change you make in the dialog would have an instant effect on your drawing - the moment you click on APPLY, the changes would become permanent (UNDO would obviously return you to a previous state.) Even after the APPLY button is pressed, the layer manager would still be on screen.

This would be useful for folks with a dual or wide screen monitor setup, plus it would roll-up when not in use for those who would like that functionality (or who have a single monitor.)

The goal of this feature would be to eliminate the need to constant open the layer mgr, toggle settings, then close the mgr and return to your work.

Sound interesting? What would you use it for? (be as detailed as possible in your use case)

Thanks!

Eric
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

All AUGI, all the time zoomharis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Bennett
    ~raises hand~

Yes please!!!! A tool palette version of the layer manager would be soooo wonderful. I would use that instead of the current layer toolbar. In fact, if the Layer II toolbar buttons and the buttons contained on the regular Layer toolbar were included on the palette, that would be even sweeter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer
    That sounds interesting Eric. I think I could use it for quite a few things.

As a Facility Manager, I'm frequently cleaning up existing drawings... with blocks and nested blocks and attributes, yada yada... sometimes I find myself adjusting my layers back and forth, trying to leave only the ones that I need (or don't need, rather) so that I can deal with them as necessary.

An example would be when taking a new Architectural Renovation plan and needing update my Complex's Base Floor Plans. I want to just copy and paste, but, first I go through and freeze all of the layers that I won't need (furniture, reflected ceiling grids, office equipment, room tags, dimensions, etc.), it is easy to overlook things, so I find myself repeatedly referring back to the layer manager.

It might also help with regards to xref layers being visually manipulated, as I normally filter them and exclude them from the layer dropdown... which forces me to use the layer manager to turn them off or on if I decide I need them.
    What is the topic of discussion? 'Layer Manager' or 'Layer Properties Manager' ?

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by eric.stover
    Gang,

Thanks!

Eric
    what settings toggles are you referring to? you can already toggle on/off freeze/thaw freezecvp/thawcvp lock/unlock, in the pull down layer control. I think it would be nice, especially if it can be transparent, it could swing open and I could still see what was underneath it, which is a problem with the current box. If all it did was float there, that would not be a good thing, I use Eagle Point and that is one of my biggest issues with the software, their menus always in the way.

Login to Give a bone

Roll-ups rock! Much better that side-to-side open/hide.

Login to Give a bone

I think it is a great idea. Like other modeless dialogs, make sure it can be anchored, docked and set to auto-hide.

Since it is always open will I be able to change layers on the fly? In other words, can I use it to change the current layer and layer properties while in a command? This would be a bonus.

Login to Give a bone

What is the topic of discussion? 'Layer Manager' or 'Layer Properties Manager' ?
    I believe Eric is referring to the AutoCAD 'Layer Properties Manager' not the 'Layer Manager' (LMAN) that was part of Express Tools.

EDIT: On a side note, how do you guys do the quote and reference the original poster's name?

All AUGI, all the time zoomharis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulsen
    I believe Eric is referring to the AutoCAD 'Layer Properties Manager' not the 'Layer Manager' (LMAN) that was part of Express Tools.
    Thanks Paulsen. I was really confused as there was not hint in OP's post that he was mentioning 'Layer Properties Manager'. If it's a matter of common sense, I am sorry for that .
    EDIT: On a side note, how do you guys do the quote and reference the original poster's name?
    Not clear what you are after. If you press on the 'Quote' button in the bottom right of the post, it will automatically quote the post with poster's name. Is that what you were asking? Doesn't look so with your post count in mind.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulsen
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomharis
    Not clear what you are after. If you press on the 'Quote' button in the bottom right of the post, it will automatically quote the post with poster's name. Is that what you were asking? Doesn't look so with your post count in mind.

Thanks Zoom. That was what I was looking for. I never noticed that big button staring me in the face before. And look I got it to work too =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast