Thread: Export to ACAD problems?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Export to ACAD problems?

In recent days I've noticed a couple of issues with the file export to CAD function in Revit. One is the annoying glitch where the units in the exported cad file are set to inches-decimal, and then you open Format/Drawing Setup, and click "Apply", and magically, the units are in feet and inches, in Architectural format.

Another I have discovered came up when exporting wall section sheets. We exported directly from the set up sheets in the central file, and all seemed well at first. You opened the sheet file in autocad, and there was, in paper space, the same sheet laid out just as it was in Revit. Click over to paperspace, and there are the sections xref'd in. The problem arrises when I went to bind/insert the xrefs, since there are about 20 xrefs for each sheet file coming out of Revit. Some annotation elements, like column grid bubbles and section tags, would end up all over the page, completely removed from their context. I had to go through and painstakingly clean up all the little random bubbles scattered about the drawings, and it was a pain.

Any thoughts on what is causing this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Calvn_Swing; 2007-03-15 at 05:28 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Export to ACAD problems?

Verify that when you export to AutoCAD the export units are set to the units you want to work with in the dwg file.Go to File>Export CAD Formats> Select options, In the Export option dialog box change the unit to preferred units

All AUGI, all the time gwnelson's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I've also noticed the random scattering of elements when exporting elevations. What was once in place in RVT becomes a block in ACD with disjointed elements all over the place. The last time I tried was in 9.1 so I have yet to see if any improvement has been made in 2008.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Yeah,

Just to clarify our export units are correct. What is odd is that the units import correctly (scale wise) into CAD but they display incorrectly. Then, when you try to modify them to display correctly you see that they should. Click Apply without changing a thing and they do.

Very odd...

Also, I still want an option to export without the bloody X-refs...

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Calvn_Swing
    Also, I still want an option to export without the bloody X-refs...
    There is a check box in the export dialogue allowing you to Export each view or sheet as a single page. Does this get you what you want?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

You know, when I saw that option I may have misinterpreted what it does... I'll have to try that out and let you know.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I'll be. That worked almost perfectly. (Almost). The sheet comes across pretty well, but the model space is all cluttered up. I think by adjusting some settings here and there we can make it work.

The only thing I'm not sure we can fix is the paper size. For whatever reason, the dwg opens with an 8.5 by 11 layout as the default, and we have to change it to the correct size after. Can't figure out why it is doing that yet...

Other than that though, brilliant! You see, I thought that it was a setting for when you were exporting multiple views or sheets, and not something that affected how any view or sheet exported.

Thanks a ton!

I could stop if I wanted to Dean Camlin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yeah, I always check that box when exporting CAD drawings to consultants, so I don't have to bother keeping track of all sorts of strangely named xrefs. I just wish that check box would stay checked.

Login to Give a bone

the fact of checking that box just saved me hours....and sending stuff to india