Thread: Exporting to DWG with Shared Coordinates...

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Exporting to DWG with Shared Coordinates...

So im getting a grasp on the factory endorsed way to link Revit models together with a common origin, and after the 4 pager on this topic, i realized that we have not been doing it correctly.

Weve been linking OTO, and modeling as far away from the origin as was necessary to place the models in the proper location. This was obviously a problem when we got a good distance from the origin.

So now, i have a tiny model (tenant fitout) with the huge shell package linked in. I linked it in CTC, and adjusted it to the proper location, and did an Acquire Coordinates from linked model.

NOW, im trying to export to DWG for our consultants, and i cannot get it to export so that it is in the same location in AutoCAD. Im exporting using Shared Coordinates, but the sheet also has the crop region rotated so the space fits on the sheet. In the exported DWG, the space is sideways when i XREF in the shell package export.

I read in the other thread that i cannot export a SHEET with shared coordinates... So do i have to export all the views, then all the sheets and XREF them together? Or if i do the sheets, but tell it not to make it all one file, will that work?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Exporting to DWG with Shared Coordinates...

Yikes.... Okay, heres another one:

Why do i not see everything when i export "Shared Coordinates?" I see one linked file, no work from the actual project, and the annotation is there. But my Linked ACAD drawing is not.

I export Project internal and everything is there... WTH???

Login to Give a bone

Oh wonderful.... I just read about crop regions and failing exports with Shared Coordinates.

****, this is almost going to make me wish i stuck with the model 19 miles from the origin, where i could do OTO exports....

Login to Give a bone

Okay, as much as i am the biggest proponent for and the most Pro-Revit person i know, i have to admit that today was a huge disappointment.

Today was my first time setting up a new project according to the Factory approved Shared coordintates approach, as described in this link: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...t=revit+origin

Its a disaster.

I was willing to work with the "I cant export sheets, only views..." even though the consultants were upset about it. I talked them through the why and how. Then i realized the crop region thing, and that was kind of a deal breaker for them, but i explained it was necessary to maintain the corersponding origin to our Shell package (through shared coordinates).

But now, in addition to both of these, its going to lay waste to the RCP plan? It rotated the grid 90 degrees (because i had the plan rotated 90 degrees on the sheet) but it didnt rotate the lights!

I hope this gets addressed soon.

I just sent an email to my whole team telling them to can the entire shared coordinates thing...

Login to Give a bone

For consultants I just set up export views without crop regions, export those with the shared settings and everything xrefs beautifully. Then send your sheets as dwfs or pdfs, they don't need that in cad any way. If they need your room tags copy / paste align those or export sep.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

Well, were giving them a Floor plan for each Tenant space that we have additional work in. So to give them a Floor plan with no crop region, there are serveral undesireable issues:

The file is (literally) twenty times bigger than it has to be. (minor issue)
    There are grids and additional model information all over that they dont need (minor issue)

The big hit is the RCP though. Its completely trashed. We rotated the plans on the sheet 90 degrees, so it fits on the sheet. When i export using shared coordinates, the ceiling grid in model space has rotated back to proper orientation, but the lights havent. The entire RCP is completely useless like that.

I talked the consultants in to taking the views without the sheets, that was a minor concession. But having the entire RCP toasted? Im better off making them reallign their own XREF's in CAD, which is what were doing now.

Not being able to use the sheet and the crop region was tolerable, but the RCP's??? Worth mentioning, the sheet and crop region issue was TOLERABLE, if everything else was perfect, but it certain isnt ideal. I have to send a consultant a 600k SF Mall plan, just because they need a 4000 SF tenant space plan?