See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you handle DWG versions when sending drawing files out the door

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default How do you handle DWG versions when sending drawing files out the door

Lately the company I work for has dealt with a number of clients/distributors who can not open our dwg drawings because they still have an older version of Autocad, and so usually my day starts with a couple emails of "This file need saved as an older version so XXX can open it." I tried to remedy this by saving as dwf's, but then we started getting problems of "we can't open these, we don't have a dwf viewer", even though we let them know that the dwf viewer is free (not to mention so is a dwg viewer that can open the new formats).
    My question is how have all of you, my fellow drafters, dealt with the format not working in older versions, and other companies not updating or downloading the files they need. As of right now we either save as an older version or export as pdf.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do you handle DWG versions when sending drawing files out the door

If you save back from 2007, you will get problems, we have had a terrible time with save-backs from that "upgrade".

I always issue my drawings in static format (DWF, PDF or PLT), if someone wants the DWG, they can pay for it and have the software to open it. Otherwise, it's just tough.

We do have a freebie program that our clients can download to view just about any drawing file format, if they choose not to, then that is thier business.

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do you handle DWG versions when sending drawing files out the door

There is DWG true convert from Autodesk...You can get them to download that, then they can handle the conversion...

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I work for an Architectural Practice and we either agree the format of file transfers at the same time as we produce our Fee Quote, if it required to save dwg's back to an earlier release then we charge them. Alternatively if it is not agreed (or changes) then wwe will charge them for the time it takes to convert the files.

My personal experience of this is that when a Client understands the they have to pay for this, then they are more willing to investigate obtaining a dwf or dwg viewer. The free Autodesk DWF has been a big success with a few of our Clients as they can add mark ups showing their comments and send them back.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Our biggest problem is when we send out parts for manufacturers for them to give us a quote, they are the ones who seem to not want to upgrade.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre
    There is DWG true convert from Autodesk...You can get them to download that, then they can handle the conversion...
    Corp wants all of our drawing files in 2004 or older format. The guy pushing it was whining about having to load 2007 & opening every one of the drawings, yada yada yada. He was sort of grumbling about it in a conference call yesterday, so I told them I could do the conversion. He backed up & said he had some "special" software that could do it fairly quickly, but would take time to get to it. 2:00 yesterday afternoon I sent him & the coordinator of the project a note saying I already had it done. All drawings for the last 7+ years from rev. 13 - rev 2007. The coordinator was impressed, but the guy who was whining wasn't. Oh well...

BTW, I used True Convert.
    Give people a job worth doing, the tools to do it, recognition of a job well done & get out of the way.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by drafter29
    Corp wants all of our drawing files in 2004 or older format. The guy pushing it was whining about having to load 2007 & opening every one of the drawings, yada yada yada. He was sort of grumbling about it in a conference call yesterday, so I told them I could do the conversion. He backed up & said he had some "special" software that could do it fairly quickly, but would take time to get to it. 2:00 yesterday afternoon I sent him & the coordinator of the project a note saying I already had it done. All drawings for the last 7+ years from rev. 13 - rev 2007. The coordinator was impressed, but the guy who was whining wasn't. Oh well...

BTW, I used True Convert.
    Did you have any problems with the files that you converted from 2007 to 2004? We have all sorts of problems saving back to 2004.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Rod
    Our biggest problem is when we send out parts for manufacturers for them to give us a quote, they are the ones who seem to not want to upgrade.
    Its strange though isn't it, I would have thought that if you were putting business their way then they should be happy and work with what ever they are given, even going out of their way to impress and thus get a possibility of repeat business.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by carl_hd_collins
    Did you have any problems with the files that you converted from 2007 to 2004? We have all sorts of problems saving back to 2004.
    Not that I know of. I don't have 2004 to really test it, so time will tell. Our group doesn't use blocks or anything that would be much of a conversion nightmare.
    Give people a job worth doing, the tools to do it, recognition of a job well done & get out of the way.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.Sanderson(UK)
    Its strange though isn't it, I would have thought that if you were putting business their way then they should be happy and work with what ever they are given, even going out of their way to impress and thus get a possibility of repeat business.
    That's what I was thinking.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast