Thread: html to revit

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default html to revit

we are required by our local codes people to show the actual UL details on our drawings. not a re-drawn detail with copied notes but the actual detail from UL. i can find the details in html format on the UL site, but what's the best way to get those details into revit. i've tried converting the html to pdf then to jpeg. but i can't control the image size very well to keep the text all the same size (detail to detail). keep in mind that we would like to archive these ul details once they are made and use them on further projects. any ideas?

I could stop if I wanted to whittendesigns's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: html to revit

you should be able to right click the detail and do a "save as" if it is a jpeg.

If not, then you can click file>save page as... and save the whole html page. It should give you a folder of everything on the web sites page. Then hunt down the detail you want.

You will probably have to manually size it everytime. If you are going to have it's scale the same for every project, you should be able to save it and import it into your project with no problems every time.

I could stop if I wanted to jeff.95551's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

We've got one municipality here that does that too. We bought the UL directory CD-Rom which gives us digital format that we converted to Revit Drafting Views. The text is editable, etc. We haven't done one for that city yet in Revit (if we never build there again I'll be thrilled), so we're not sure if they will pass muster. Since we include them for reference only, we decided that if we did need to modify the sheets for this sheets, we'd just make a dummy sheet in .pdf that wouldn't be dynamic. We plot everything to .pdf before printing anyway, so it isn't really a hassle. There is nothing to redline on the sheet(s), and they are only referenced from our standard wall type sheet by UL number, so aside from the hassle of remembering to insert this one odd sheet, it's not a bad solution.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

so does the UL cd give you a cad file you can import directly to a revit drafting view?

is there a way to import a .txt file into the drafting view.

Login to Give a bone

I'm not sure what the format is - another guy in my office did that - I'll find out and let you know, but at the least we are able to select text, ctrl-c, and paste into a drafting view.

I didn't know you could find UL details online. Is that a subscription thing? I've looked in the past with no luck, which is why we sprang for the $300 CD that will be obsolete in a couple of years.

Another solution for the authenticity your jurisdiction wants - stickyback copies from the books. They look like copies, page numbers and all. I don't know about copyright, but the city doesn't care about that. That's what we did last time we worked in the city that required the actual details.
    Jeff

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...gothernbr.html

it's not very easy to find. i finally bookmarked it.

if you place the text in a drafting view, can you do the trick (like schedules) where you break the information and put it in the next column on your sheet?

Login to Give a bone

The CD has a program called Folio View that is the interface, and it is a bunch of hyperlinked documents - probably html, so you can select the text, and the pictures and paste them or print them in a few different ways (pdf, etc.)

The text boxes don't wrap - you have to manage that in the drafting view.

I've attached one of our Revitized details for a simple one. Nothing fancy.
    Attached Files Attached Files