Thread: Open AutoCAD with the last saved drawing file

Login to Give a bone

Question Open AutoCAD with the last saved drawing file

I have no problem with opening Autocad. I was just wondering how to configure it to open up in the drawing you closed prior. Right now, it is set to open on my default template drawing, but, we seldom start new drawings. Just copy old and rename them.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Open AutoCAD with the last saved drawing file

Quote Originally Posted by Bear31831
    I have no problem with opening Autocad. I was just wondering how to configure it to open up in the drawing you closed prior. Right now, it is set to open on my default template drawing, but, we seldom start new drawings. Just copy old and rename them.

Any ideas would be appreciated
    Instead of opening up AutoCAD first, browse to your drawing then double click the file.

BTW, using templates are a much better then opening older drawings and doing a save-as. Because you may get things in your drawing that may not be company standard, you may be just piling mess upon mess. That is what they use to do at the company I work for now. Just a thought.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Open AutoCAD with the last saved drawing file

Quote Originally Posted by jntopper

....BTW, using templates are a much better then opening older drawings and doing a save-as. Because you may get things in your drawing that may not be company standard, you may be just piling mess upon mess. That is what they use to do at the company I work for now. Just a thought.
    I agree, starting from another drawing everytime can be dangerous. Atleast create a template from your best one and have your autocad open that one.

Step 1. go to your BEST old drawing that has all the stuff you need.
    Step 2. Saveas <your favorite file name>.dwt (template) to a safe place like on a server.
    Step 3. Go into your preferences\Files\Template Settings and set that as your default file name for QNEW.

Everytime you open autocad, it will start with that one only it will be an unnamed dwg.

Hows that?

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Open AutoCAD with the last saved drawing file

thanks, guys... I got some insight...

also, we use "purge" quite a bit and this seems to work okay.. We don't have a particular standard sheet as our details are done on our customers "paper," if you know what I mean.

I will try the suggestions, and again, thanks

Joe B.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jntopper
    Instead of opening up AutoCAD first, browse to your drawing then double click the file.

BTW, using templates are a much better then opening older drawings and doing a save-as. Because you may get things in your drawing that may not be company standard, you may be just piling mess upon mess. That is what they use to do at the company I work for now. Just a thought.
    we get a kick in the rear if we use old drawings (except for our standard parts drawings) - but if we try and open an old drawing and modify and reuse it - we usually end up having to redo it. Too many errors. Too many things that don't get changed.

Login to Give a bone

You could combine the two ideas by inserting an existing drawing into the template and then saveas.