See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to export revit file with accurender material data to MAX or VIZ render

Login to Give a bone

Default how to export revit file with accurender material data to MAX or VIZ render

I can not export revit file with accurender material data to MAX or VIZ render.
    CAN ANYONE HELP?
    Last edited by anindyapandit232; 2007-04-09 at 07:07 AM.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: how to export revit file with accurender material data to MAX or VIZ render

Ditto,

I'm just about to try this myself. If anyone regularly takes their Revit models to Max or Viz, please post something about it.

Also, as RA2008 is supposed to improve upon this process, and since we're going to upgrade the moment they let us download it, if anyone on the beta program has had the opportunity to try exporting to Viz/Max PLEASE say something...

Thanks,

I could stop if I wanted to kpaxton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: how to export revit file with accurender material data to MAX or VIZ render

OK, a couple of small comments for you -

First, Welcome to the Forums!!!

Second, because of the NDA, we can't speak of specifics in the new release (beta) until it is released, unless it's been covered in an official press release. That being said, I can offer to you they are working on the exporting and it is getting better. As has been suggested elsewhere, I wouldn't plan on using the materials straight out of Revit/AR in Viz. You should re-map these to take advantage of the rendering capabilities within Viz. Your standard definitions such as 'glass' will show up as 'glass' and 'stucco #3' will be 'stucco #3' so that you can swap them easier.

anindyapandit232 (and all) - What version are you working in? Please remember that there are a variety of different releases that people are still using (8.0 through 9.1), and the functionality of each is slightly different. When you post, please refer to the version that you are using. What may be a problem in 8.1 might have been fixed by 9.0... Also, do a search in the Rendering or the Gallery Forums as there probably has been a topic similar to yours already covered.

Hope this helps!
    Kyle

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

In terms of the NDA, RA2008 has been released as of Thursday of last week (or at least that is what our reseller told us). We're awaiting the download to become available to us, which should happen quite soon (theoretically). As such, we should be able to discuss the new export features of RA2008.

Aside from that, our firm is on 9.1.

Have you had success in exporting from Revit to Max in 9.1? What process do you use? Do you expot using ACIS solids? Etc...

Thanks,

Login to Give a bone

Kelly,
    Well, as much as I'd hate to disagree with your reseller.. I have not received official notification from Autodesk - and they're the ones I listen to!

As for 9.1 - the process has always been pretty much the same for each release-
    • Go to a 3d view (non-camera) you've made.
    • I like to put a section box around the model to ensure a limitation of geometry - but that's your choice.
    • Go to File > Export - you need to make a DWG file - save it as a r2007 format.
    • I export using the Polymesh setting.
    • In Viz > use File/Link Manager and import using the Revit Preset.
    • Modify your materials accordingly. > Render!
    Again, along with the Help file, there are other posts that you might want to do a Search for in the Gallery or Rendering Forums here in the Revit section, that might cover this topic and help you!

Kyle

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks a lot!

While I think our reseller is correct, and we've received a notification from Autodesk that our software ( RA2008 ) has shipped to us, I can understand wanting to wait for official confirmation that the NDA has been lifted. We're trying to get on the beta program ourselves, and you don't want your status revoked because of an AUGI post. So, I completely understand your restraint.

Thanks for the process list. It is much like I'd have expected. One or two more questions for you:

1. Do you find it advantageous to filter what gets exported in Revit through VG settings before exporting, or to remove geometry (like toilet fixtures, etc...) in Max? Our in house Max guru doesn't want to learn Revit at the moment, and spent about 6 hours removing stuff from the DWG in Max where I think I could have filtered it out in about 6 minutes (ok, really like 1 minute) in Revit. I'm trying to convince him Revit isn't the root of all evil and this might be a nice demonstration of it...

2. Perhaps you can answer this in a few days, but included in the improvements in RA2008 for exporting to Viz/Max, I understand that objects with a different material on different faces (walls) can now be exported to Viz accurately using the ACIS solid export option. So, will you start using this export option instead of the polymesh? Or, since most Viz models are for either interior OR exterior renderings, is this something that isn't really that helpful? - Answer this one when you hear back from Autodesk on the NDA...

Thanks so much!!!
    Last edited by Calvn_Swing; 2007-04-09 at 06:17 PM.

Login to Give a bone

A couple of additional points...

You can export a camera view to a dWG. This will export the geometry as well as the camera. It will be a defined view in AutoCAD. Then is will show as a camera in 3DS.

If you have a library of materials you can load these in your material editor. Rename them to the same materials as in the Revit model, and then use the put to scene tool to replace the already defined material in the scene. This is very quick.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Calvn_Swing
    1. Do you find it advantageous to filter what gets exported in Revit through VG settings before exporting, or to remove geometry (like toilet fixtures, etc...) in Max? Our in house Max guru doesn't want to learn Revit at the moment, and spent about 6 hours removing stuff from the DWG in Max where I think I could have filtered it out in about 6 minutes (ok, really like 1 minute) in Revit. I'm trying to convince him Revit isn't the root of all evil and this might be a nice demonstration of it...
    This I can answer w/o the NDA - ABSOLUTELY. A Revit model can contain an extremely large amount of data. Anything that is represented in 3D, from wall sweeps to furniture to toilets, will be there unless you use View Visibility to control them. It's a simple rule of thumb - IF you're going to see it in your rendering - keep it ON. (I don't remove, I only turn off). I don't worry too much about interior floor finishes, etc. as there isn't that much overhead. The biggest thing to me is worrying about that HIGHLY reflective piece on the inside that can be seen through the glass!! Talk about a time eater! OFF they go - or don't use highly reflective materials to start with! You can get pretty anal about 'removing' stuff - my suggestion is keep it simple & don't go overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvn_Swing
    2. Perhaps you can answer this in a few days, but included in the improvements in RA2008 for exporting to Viz/Max, I understand that objects with a different material on different faces (walls) can now be exported to Viz accurately using the ACIS solid export option. So, will you start using this export option instead of the polymesh? Or, since most Viz models are for either interior OR exterior renderings, is this something that isn't really that helpful? - Answer this one when you hear back from Autodesk on the NDA... Thanks so much!!!
    This I can answer w/o the NDA too - You are correct in your understanding, and I believe it's at that point in 9.1 also. Others may contradict me, but I believe you're correct in the Inside/Outside methodology. In my opinion, there are just too many setups for a model to be used as both. I'm not saying it can't be or isn't done, it probably wouldn't be my preference. I haven't had any problems in using the Polymesh, so unless there is a drastic need to switch, I probably won't. I haven't delved into the differences much further than that, but I'm sure both will work as well as one another.

To respond to what Aaron wrote - he is indeed correct - Camera views can be exported. If there is a camera in the scene, the standard 3D view will export these cameras also, but they are kind of askew. I tend to delete them or turn them off as I'll create my own in Viz/Max anyway. Especially with Vray cameras.

As for materials, make sure you've got the 'Put to Instances' option checked in the Material Editor - so it'll replace ALL the same definitions in the scene.

Login to Give a bone

This is from the rac 2008 help file:

NOTE:Elements with compound structures: If the model includes elements with multiple components (such as walls, floors, ceilings, and roofs), when you export to DWG using ACIS solids, each element is exported as a single solid. The export file does not retain information about the individual components that make up those elements or any material mapping that may be associated with those components. To retain surface material mappings with compound elements, export as polymesh.

So t seems it is still not possible to have a decent export with all the sublayers of a wall included and with different materials applied. The problem with 'revitmaterialdefination....' instead of real accurender names is gone though.

I am a little disappointed that it is still impossible to export wall layers with materials applied. Or am I missing something? I know that, when exporting as polymesh, some materials are being exported, but wall faces should be splitted at inserts!

(tested with rac2008 and max 9)

Ivan

Login to Give a bone

Looks like the help file isn't quite telling the full story now. Look in the What's New for the real info...

"An object that has different materials applied to interior and exterior surfaces (such as a wall) in a Revit project may be exported as a 3D view using ACIS solids. When the imported geometry is brought into 3ds Max or VIZ, those applications now show the different materials on each surface of an ACIS solid. (In previous releases, 3ds Max or VIZ only showed one material for the entire ACIS solid.)"

So you are ready to roll with 2008....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast