See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Long Room Names and Multi-View Blocks

Login to Give a bone

Default Long Room Names and Multi-View Blocks

Hi Gang.

Need help with a multi-view block I created for room names and numbers.

I created the MVB using MTEXT and the “Create schedule Tag” command. It read all the information from theSpace objects in the construct just fine, except for one small problem, we have some rooms in our project with loooong names. Names so long, they don’t fit in the spaces they are supposed to define, and this makes the architects unhappy.

I tried to convince the architects to move the tag away and use a leader but they really want the block to break the name into 2 lines as needed.

What can I do? Is there a text code I can insert into the space name in order to break the text (a la %%P to get the plus/minus sign or %%D for the degree bubble)? Do I have to recreate my MVB and if so, how?

I have attached a DWG with my block and space object for perusal.

I submit to the collective wisdom of the group. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Long Room Names and Multi-View Blocks

Probably doesn't help you at the moment but a new feature of Acad 2008 is multi line attributes which would enable you to get the desired results.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by philipmlazarus
    Hi Gang.

Need help with a multi-view block I created for room names and numbers.

I created the MVB using MTEXT and the “Create schedule Tag” command. It read all the information from theSpace objects in the construct just fine, except for one small problem, we have some rooms in our project with loooong names. Names so long, they don’t fit in the spaces they are supposed to define, and this makes the architects unhappy.

I tried to convince the architects to move the tag away and use a leader but they really want the block to break the name into 2 lines as needed.

What can I do? Is there a text code I can insert into the space name in order to break the text (a la %%P to get the plus/minus sign or %%D for the degree bubble)? Do I have to recreate my MVB and if so, how?

I have attached a DWG with my block and space object for perusal.

I submit to the collective wisdom of the group. Thanks!
    There are a number of ways to approach this issue. One way is to create two or more individual manual properties into which you enter the room name and which are displayed in separate attributes in your MVB Tag. A formula property can then be used to combine the separate properties into one, for use in a Schedule Table. Find examples and read more about this using the following links:
    June 6, 2003:
    http://discussion.autodesk.com/threa...hreadID=154195
    [get download from repost in reply on August 24, 2004]
    January 25, 2005:
    http://discussion.autodesk.com/threa...hreadID=379954
    July 4, 2005:
    http://architects-desktop.blogspot.c...e-formula.html
    July 9, 2005:
    http://architects-desktop.blogspot.c...revisited.html

Another approach is to use formula properties to split apart a room name entered in a single manual property [or derived from a list property]. Tomislav Zigo describes such an approach in this blog article.

Another variant, using MTEXT codes in the room name and a formula property to strip them out, can be found in this article in the Autodesk Knowledge Base. This can not be used with List Definitions in ADT 2007, as the MTEXT codes will not be accepted.

And, for the record, while regular AutoCAD blocks can have multi-line attributes in 2008, they will not work as multi-line attributes if used as a view block of a Multi-View Block Schedule Tag in AutoCAD Architecture 2008. Maybe next release???

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch
    And, for the record, while regular AutoCAD blocks can have multi-line attributes in 2008, they will not work as multi-line attributes if used as a view block of a Multi-View Block Schedule Tag in AutoCAD Architecture 2008. Maybe next release???
    Oh well I should have known it was too good to true .

Thanks for the work arounds and links though