Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of Project Tool Palettes

I could stop if I wanted to rdaniel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Getting rid of Project Tool Palettes

Does anyone know how to get rid of project specific tool palettes? It took me a while to figure out that their existence was why changes I made to a tool palette set would be deleted when I reopened CAD. I felt like I was taking crazy pills there for a while. So, I tried closing the project and then changing the settings and it did keep them upon re-opening the app. until I opened a project again in the navigator. Then the tool palette catagories and even the palette locations on the screen changed. I know that this is because the palettes have a different set up just for that project, but I have no desire for this (and honestly see no real benefit in it). How can I make a project just read in my regular system tool palette set-up and not a customized deal?

I saw that in the project options (the mofify project window) that there are several file paths for the project tool palettes. Is this what I need to re-path? If so, where do I need to repath it to?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Getting rid of Project Tool Palettes

Randall

I have the same view point as you, i hate the project palettes with a passion! I have heard that there is nothing you can do to get around them. They are pure

We have ours set up on a network, we have about 14 different ones but only 12 stay open no matter what (on my computer) on my bosses one none stay open and he has to reload them each time he changes projects (i think).

If you do find a solution please please PLEASE let me know lol

I could stop if I wanted to rdaniel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cory
    If you do find a solution please please PLEASE let me know lol
    I don't have a real solution or really understand how everything works, but I do have some things that help. First, the first projects I set up don't have project specific palettes. I really only have one or two (that someone else set up) that have the problem. I attached a snapshot of the project properties for my good projects, so you can at least see what has been working there.

The other thing I have done (for the troublemakers) is go to the project specific tool palette folders and delete them. This seems to help. You can also right click on the dark gray bar of the tool palette and click customize to clean up things.

A note on updating your palettes. I use linked palettes, so users can manually update when I add / change items. If I need to add a palette or category, I've found it to work better to close the current project before installing the new palettes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

While you cannot disable project tool palettes, here are a couple ideas to help control them.

I've never tried this, so test in an environment that is not connected to production content for palettes, content, etc... Remove the network path assigned in options that points to the office standard palettes from options. Instead of having it set there, have the project point the project tool palettes path to the office standard palettes. Then when ever you set a project current it should load the palettes from the standard location. The only thing I don't know about is if you use tool palette groups and whether these will work if you follow this method. My guess is that any tool palette groups you've built will not follow through once the project loads the palettes. Not so big of a problem if you only have a few palettes, huge problem if you have a lot of them.

Another thing to try would be to write a lisp routine to unload the path from options. When a project is set current, Project Navigator (PN) adds a path to the tool palettes pathing in options. So you could most likely build a lisp routine that uses an IF statement that IF there are paths that point to directories other than the office standard, remove stray paths. Unfortunately, I'm lacking when it comes to writting a lisp routine of such magnitude. You could try the lisp forums here on augi and I'm sure someone can help you build the syntax of what you want.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Acturally thats a good point, ones that do work were set up before 07 was installed but any new ones play hide and go seek all the time

In the options the default tool palette location is the OOTB imperial ones lol

Login to Give a bone

Do you know if this has changed in 08?

Login to Give a bone

Do you know if this has changed in 08?
    2008 and 2007 are the same for project palettes for the most part.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Bennett
    2008 and 2007 are the same for project palettes for the most part.
    Sigh... the future is dim.. lol

Login to Give a bone

Sigh... the future is dim.. lol
    Well, yeah, but that really has little to do with project tool palettes in ACA.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch
    Well, yeah, but that really has little to do with project tool palettes in ACA.
    Haha i think its been dim for a very long time - sigh, anyway thats another thread for another day lol

Nar im used to the tool palette thing now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast