Thread: Error Refreshing palettes

Login to Give a bone

Default Error Refreshing palettes

ADT 2006

Why do I always get an error when I refresh a tool palette after modifying it? See attached image. What I have to do is delete the old palette and copy in the new one. It would be so much easier just to have all my cad users click the refresh button. Anyone with a similar problem? Thanks

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Error Refreshing palettes

where are the tool palettes located that everyone uses? both the palettes that are built and loaded into the catalog and the catalog need to be located on the server. also, all the content for the palettes should be on the server too.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaroguy
    ADT 2006

Why do I always get an error when I refresh a tool palette after modifying it? See attached image. What I have to do is delete the old palette and copy in the new one. It would be so much easier just to have all my cad users click the refresh button. Anyone with a similar problem? Thanks

Jason
    How are your "modifying" the palette in the catalog? If you are deleting the palette and replacing it with another, modified copy, that will "break" the refresh, even if the palette has the same "name". You can have ten palettes all with the same name, with different content, and ADT will keep them straight [even if you can not], because is assigns a unique GUID to each palette.

Login to Give a bone

The palettes are all in a catalog in the Content Browser on the network. The content in the palettes are in resource drawings also on a network drive.

I've tried a couple of different methods to modify the palette. Right click on the existing palette in AutoCAD and click on properties, then uncheck the 'Refresh From:' box in the palette properties dialog. Then I would either copy that palette back into the Content Browser and over write the old one or I'd delete the old one and copy the new one into the Content Browser. Sounds like that is where I am going wrong. What is the preferred method to modify an existing tool palette and getting it back into the Content Browser?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaroguy
    The palettes are all in a catalog in the Content Browser on the network. The content in the palettes are in resource drawings also on a network drive.

I've tried a couple of different methods to modify the palette. Right click on the existing palette in AutoCAD and click on properties, then uncheck the 'Refresh From:' box in the palette properties dialog. Then I would either copy that palette back into the Content Browser and over write the old one or I'd delete the old one and copy the new one into the Content Browser. Sounds like that is where I am going wrong. What is the preferred method to modify an existing tool palette and getting it back into the Content Browser?
    this is exactly why I don't like content browser...
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I always uncheck the refresh from (as you have been), but instead of copying the entire palette back to the content browser delete the tools from inside the palette in the browser and then copy and paste (or drag and drop) the new modified tools from the tool palette into it, then refresh the palette. This seems to be the only reliable method I have found.

Hope that helps.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gdaniels
    I always uncheck the refresh from (as you have been), but instead of copying the entire palette back to the content browser delete the tools from inside the palette in the browser and then copy and paste (or drag and drop) the new modified tools from the tool palette into it, then refresh the palette. This seems to be the only reliable method I have found.

Hope that helps.

That is what I do and it works fine.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, I got it to work without and error. One buggy thing, as I would drag and drop the new tool into the palette in the content browser it would not show up. I did this several times thinking it was not working. Then I hit the refresh button on the palette and several copies of the tool would show up, one for every time I tried to copy the tool to the palette. Then closing the content browser and reopening it the tools would appear. Weird? Thanks for all your help.

Jason