Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista prevents AutoCAD 2008 from opening - AutoCAD application has stopped working

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Vista prevents AutoCAD 2008 from opening - AutoCAD application has stopped working

i'm assuming this is not an autodesk problem but a Vista problem since i've never had a problem installing autocad before. I was able to install the program but when i try to open the exe file, I get an error that reads "autocad appication has stopped working" the second i click the icon. This also happened with Revit, but when i told Vista to run the program "as administrator" it solved the problem. I was hoping someone here knows how to fix this. i doubt its a 2008 version problem so im posting this in 2008 and 2007. Thank you all ahead of time for giving me any information to help solve this problem and thank you so much for your time!

Sincerely,
    Brian Andresen

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Vista prevents AutoCAD 2008 from opening - AutoCAD application has stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Andresen
    i'm assuming this is not an autodesk problem but a Vista problem since i've never had a problem installing autocad before. I was able to install the program but when i try to open the exe file, I get an error that reads "autocad appication has stopped working" the second i click the icon. This also happened with Revit, but when i told Vista to run the program "as administrator" it solved the problem. I was hoping someone here knows how to fix this. i doubt its a 2008 version problem so im posting this in 2008 and 2007. Thank you all ahead of time for giving me any information to help solve this problem and thank you so much for your time!

Sincerely,
    Brian Andresen
    How did you go about installing the program (from a CD or from a network deployment)?
    Did you have administrator rights when you did the install?
    Does it provide you with an error code?
    Do you have a supported graphics card? Check it here.
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 2007-04-15 at 02:31 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Vista prevents AutoCAD 2008 from opening - AutoCAD application has stopped working

1)- i downloaded it from the autodesk website as a trial version. I'm assuming after installing it as a trial i can register it with Autodesk (so i dont have to wait for the disk to show up in the mail) as far as i can see it installed correctly-
    2)- yes, i only have two users on my personal computer and both are administrators
    3)- no error code. its a windows box that just says "AutoCAD application has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly, windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." Thats it! thats the best description windows thought up for this error...ha ha!...ridiculous.
    4)-i dont know what kind of graphics card i have but i was assuming that if the card could run Revit with no problems the Autocad would be fine (no disrespect to AutoCAD of course)
    but if thats not the case how can i find that information out? look inside the computer? just read the info off the card the monitor is plugged into?

thanks again for the quick response and i hope to hear back soon-

Login to Give a bone

I'll have to dig that one up. There's was a thread around here somewhere that talked about this type of an issue, and I think it actually had to do more with Revit and Acad and ACA all on the same workstation.

Login to Give a bone

Did you download AutoCAD or AutoCAD Architecture?

I've been noticing that the trial versions for download from Autodesk's website have not been including the 64bit Vista versions of the product. A full trial DVD has both 32 and 64 bit versions on the same disk. I don't know if this is the case for AutoCAD or ACA, but I've found this to be true for VIZ and MAX at the very least.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

i downloaded AutoCAD 2008 and Revit architecture 2008 since the subscription has always included both as a series (or suite now) and Revit worked great. I'm assuming i want everything 32 bit and i think it all is. I'm almost certain its a OS problem (thanks Vista!) and hopefully someone has had the same problem. i hate to wish someone else has problems, but hopefully they solved it and can point me in the right direction to fix it. i can wait for the DVD, but I'm afraid thats not going to be any different. thanks for everything so far...hope to get more suggestions!

Login to Give a bone

Well, Since you downloaded AutoCAD, not ACA, I need to move this thread. Since your main issue is with AutoCAD I am moving it to the AutoCAD 2008 forum.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Andresen
    i downloaded AutoCAD 2008 and Revit architecture 2008 since the subscription has always included both as a series (or suite now) and Revit worked great. I'm assuming i want everything 32 bit and i think it all is. I'm almost certain its a OS problem (thanks Vista!) and hopefully someone has had the same problem. i hate to wish someone else has problems, but hopefully they solved it and can point me in the right direction to fix it. i can wait for the DVD, but I'm afraid thats not going to be any different. thanks for everything so far...hope to get more suggestions!
    From the sounds of it, the installer for AutoCAD you downloaded is not built to be run on Vista. You might need to wait for the actual disks to arrive in the mail or contact your local reseller for an actual trial disk of AutoCAD if you really need it.

Secondly, I believe the disks you get as part of the Revit Architecture series has a slightly different build of AutoCAD than if you were to buy AutoCAD seperately. That being said, you may run into issues registering AutoCAD even it were to run properly at the moment. Unless of course, you downloaded the Revit Architecture series which includes both Revit and AutoCAD. If you are on subscrition, you can also download the Revit Architecture series right now as a full build (I think - havent tried it yet, but I've been told you can).

Have a good one! If this doesn't resolve your issue, there will be plenty of others along to help you out. Now, I'm off to bed so I can travel tomorrow for Autodesk Techcamp!

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Actually, my computer runs Revit just fine but it has problems with AutoCAD because its not a supported graphics card for it! I've had to make some adjustments to make it run properly.

I'm not sure where to find it in Vista, but in XP if you would go to
    Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager ... then you could find your graphics card under Display Adapters.

Login to Give a bone

thanks for the continuing support but my graphics card is checked good according to that link above through that autodesk web page . its a NVIDIA Quadro FX 540 and its shown perfect for vista and 2008. any other suggestions is greatly appreciated and even if i dont get this resolved through here its nice to know people are here to help!!! thank so much for the help already- cant wait to hear any other options possible. the scary part is I've just dealt with acad, Revit, and 3DS Max. i cant imagine the problems I'm going to have with Photoshop, iTunes, and the rest of my programs... but thats for another day/thread. thanks again for the continuing support...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast