See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: How to maintain the same layer visibility states per viewport following XREF insert?

Login to Give a bone

Default How to maintain the same layer visibility states per viewport following XREF insert?

Layer visibility per viewport

Autocad 2006

Hi guys,

I would welcome your collective comments regarding the following issue that I have:-

I’m currently have one drawing (drawing A) which contains all my floor plans etc, this drawing has a large number of paperspace tabs, each paperspace tabs has a number of viewports. Each view port has a variety of different layers frozen within that particular viewport.

Fairly straightforward so far……….

I’m wanting to created a new drawing (drawing B) which is the exact replica of drawing A apart from a few minor changes to the layout of the floor plans etc... . If drawing A is updated, drawing B should update as well. I.e, I want to use an x-ref of drawing A in drawing B and use the xclip / wipeout commands to cut out the bits I don’t want.

Still, fairly straightforward…………..

Drawing B needs to have all of the same paper space tabs and viewports as drawing A. The layer visibility states for the viewports in drawing B need to match those of drawing A. To do this I have done the following:-

• Open Drawing A
    • File – Save As – Drawing B
    • Go to model space – selection box around all – erase
    • X-ref manager – insert xref – Drawing A.

This has got me to the stage where I have all the same paper spave tabs and viewports as drawing A. However, the viewports display the wrong / too much information as the layers that they are set to freeze no longer contain any data (due to the delete prior to the xref insert). The layers that need to be frozen have all now been prefixed by DrawingA|layer name.

So,

Is there a way of either bringing in an x-ref without it prefixing each layer with the file name (and still retaining its x-ref abilities), or is there a way of quickly updating the layer states within each viewport to take into account the new names (without going to each viewport individually and refreezing the layer under is new name as there is 150+ layers with different states in 30ish viewports across 10 tabs).

Any help, guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to maintain the same layer visibility states per viewport following XREF insert?

Hi

If I am understanding the question properly, take a look at the following couple of threads...

I want to extract layer info...

Layer State Mgr in 2004...

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to maintain the same layer visibility states per viewport following XREF insert?

Thanks Mike, that does the trick nicely. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

I have never done what you are looking for exactly, but what I have done is taken a drawing with the layers and the layout tabs with the layers I want in each tab, then I save the drawing as a template with the different layouts.
    When I start a new drawing and I want to insert a boarder with a certain layout I right click on a model/paper space area and select from template then I can choose what layout I want.

I hope this makes sense and it helps you out or it sparks an idea for you to come up with your way of doing this task.