See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Doing query through FDO

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Angry Doing query through FDO

Hi,

I am connecting to a shape file through FDO. I have centerlines, parcels, and streetlights. I like to do a buffer of a quarter mile radius of an intersection and do a query and see how many lights i have in that quarter mile of radius.

Can this be done and how.

thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Doing query through FDO

it can be done with map 3D 2008! if you have it just say so and I can give you some guidelines. it is not a difficult procedure

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Yes, please. I was part of the 2008 Beta team. I am also on subscription. Do you already have 2008. I would appreciate the guideline. It is so difficult to use the map product when there is no manual.

Login to Give a bone

Ok, here's how I would do it, it might not be the best way but see it as a quick and dirty way.

Since you dont have any points in the intersections I don't think we will be able to do a circle buffer around the intersection, but it here my quick and dirty solution comes in.
    If we make a picture of the intersection as one vertical and one horizontal road line crossing I can refer to the lines as vertical and horizontal. Now mark the horizontal line and go to Analyze - Buffer, and make the quarter mile buffer, then do the same thing with the vertical line.
    Now you should have two buffertzones overlapping in the intersection. Right click on the streetlights layer and select Query to filter data, add a location query, then select the horizontal buffer, add another query and do the same thing with the vertical buffer.

Now you should only see the lampposts within a quarter mile from the intersection and you can see in the table view how many features you got.

Login to Give a bone

since you say you have map 2008 this is how i would do the query...
    I suppose you do not have a problem creating the buffer layer. with the 2008 version you can easily do that by entering the command mapfdobuffercreate (map classic workspace) or analyze buffer (map 3d for geospatial workspace). you select the point from which the buffer begins (your intersection), you enter the distance and your buffer layer is saved as an sdf file and is also added to the display manager with semi transparent color.
    on the display manager you copy the street lights layer and rename it to bufferlights or sth. then you right click on it, select query to filter data, then add, location condition, polygon (crossing or inside that depends on your preference) and then you click define. the next step you select the buffer polygon from your drawing....and there you are! on the layer bufferlight you will have only the lights at the specific distance
    hope that helps you...