Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross-Grade ACA 2008 to revit Arch 2008

Login to Give a bone

Default Cross-Grade ACA 2008 to revit Arch 2008

Former ADT subscription user, now ACA 2008 user, using trial Revit version 9 and still thinking about migration to Revit.

But, I'm wondering, if cross grading allows one to still use former versions of ADT. ie, 2007, 2006 that I have on my PC. Since I'm giving up the ADT/ACA subscription will one still have the right to use the previous versions? (including ACA 2008 for that matter ?)

My reseller is pushing for the Rev it up solution....but I don't think I can afford maintaining
    both softwares, both $$$$ wise and mentally.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cross-Grade ACA 2008 to revit Arch 2008

I dont think you can "legally" do that but why maintain both systems ?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dhurtubise
    I dont think you can "legally" do that but why maintain both systems ?
    Well because I'm a acad user from 1992. There is a hell of alot of cad files that I'd have to
    translate over to Revit. Something I'm not looking forward to.
    Right now as I understand it I'm legal because I'm on a ADT/ACA subscription.

So what you are saying is that once I make the switch to Revit with subscription that
    they former ACAD softwares are not legally usable.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Because you're subscription is being transfer to Revit, but i would check with your reseller.
    You can also consider upgrading to Revit Architecture Suite 2008 which gives you a seat of Revit and a seat of AutoCAD

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The only people that can provide you with a legally defensible answer to your question are your reseller, perhaps another reseller who you fully explain your situation to or Autodesk itself.

Login to Give a bone

I'm not experienced with how the resellers are structured but as an end user, I would be ****** if I paid for a software and was not allowed to use it because I wasn't on a subscription. If I wanted to stay on Autocad 11, that's my prerogative. I doubt that anyone can force you to upgrade or maintain your software. It may not be practicle but I stopped using Autocad on any new projects in 2005. I don't ever intend to upgrade beyond my current version of Autocad which is 2006 because it allows me to still access those files from the previous 15 years. Are you guys implying that I may be in violation of the EULA?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by douggodfrey
    I'm not experienced with how the resellers are structured but as an end user, I would be ****** if I paid for a software and was not allowed to use it because I wasn't on a subscription...
    See Steve's answer above.

But... my non-authorized understanding is...
    Yes you can stay on acad11 for the rest of your life... unless you crossgrade to Revit (or any other Autodesk app). When you crossgrade to Revit, you're suppose to remove the old software from your computer. If you want to keep using the old acad software, you need to buy a new license of Revit instead of crossgrading.

The reality of the situation is that no one finishes all the projects they started in one app and then makes the switch. The switch happens over time as projects in the older app get wrapped up. This creates a necessary "gray" period where users generally leave the old software on their computer until the old projects are finished. Lawyers can argue the legalities until they're blue in the face, but the reality is that old software usually sits on the old computer for a while... and it's unlikely that Autodesk is going to come breaking down your door because of it. Autodesk wants their user base to continue to upgrade - they're not out to create impossible situations that leave them stuck on acad 11.

What Autodesk would not like is if you crossgraded, took your new Revit seat and installed it on a different computer from the old acad software and now had one user using the old acad software and another user using the new Revit software. That's when Autodesk starts to get upset.

However, with all the new authorization code stuff, if you ever do need to reinstall your old software (and you've crossgraded), I'm not so sure Autodesk will issue an auth. code.

Edit: p.s. - I would strongly encourage anyone making the jump to Revit to get the AutoCAD-Revit Suite. It's only a little more money, and the acad really comes in handy when working with consultant drawings, importing content off the web, and even some workarounds in Revit.
    Last edited by iru69; 2007-04-20 at 02:21 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford
    The only people that can provide you with a legally defensible answer to your question are your reseller, perhaps another reseller who you fully explain your situation to or Autodesk itself.

Now I understand a bit better. I'm getting the "Don't shoot the messenger" feeling from my reseller, and THAT's why I haven't gotten to understand this until you guys point out the implications. No wonder my reseller is reluctant to be clear. They don't want a meltdown on their hands.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irusun
    See Steve's answer above.

But... my non-authorized understanding is...
    Yes you can stay on acad11 for the rest of your life... unless you crossgrade to Revit (or any other Autodesk app). When you crossgrade to Revit, you're suppose to remove the old software from your computer. If you want to keep using the old acad software, you need to buy a new license of Revit instead of crossgrading.
    I think this clears it up for me.
    Thanks for your post.

TM

I could stop if I wanted to Cathy Hadley's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Besure that your reseller is offering you the Revit Series (now called suite...) That gives you both Revit & Acad... And its true... it is not the resellers fault, ADK changes the rules very often and without much warning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast