Thread: Custom Tags

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Question Custom Tags

I would like to create custom tags for windows, door and spaces, and have them report to schedules. I have tried using the ADT help file "Creating AutoCAD DesignCenter schedule tags" but I do not get a tag that reports to a schedule, it just appears as an attribute block. Not sure what I am doing wrong, can anyone offer some direction on how to create custom tags? I'm thinking I am doing something wrong with the propertysetdefinitions part of the creation.

I really appreciate you help!
    Cheryl

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Custom Tags

To learn more about Property Set Definitions, Schedule Table Styles and Custom Tags, take a look at Brain Dumps No. 13 and 15, by Mr. Matt Dillon, at http://home.earthlink.net/~ccyanchar/ .

These were written for ADT2, so items added later, like style-based Property Set Definitions and the new automatic properties added in ADT2004 are not covered, but if you work your way through the tutorials, you should end up with a good understanding of the relationships between the various components.
    David Koch

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Custom Tags

Quote Originally Posted by crenninger
    I would like to create custom tags for windows, door and spaces, and have them report to schedules. I have tried using the ADT help file "Creating AutoCAD DesignCenter schedule tags" but I do not get a tag that reports to a schedule, it just appears as an attribute block. Not sure what I am doing wrong, can anyone offer some direction on how to create custom tags? I'm thinking I am doing something wrong with the propertysetdefinitions part of the creation.

I really appreciate you help!
    Cheryl
    Hi Cheryl,

I searched the help for your specific search term listed above and could not find it in either the 2004 help or 2005 help files. What you really need to search on is "Custom Tags". Essentially, you will have to perform the following tasks as shown in the flow chart from the help file:

Creating a custom tag

The docs and brain dumps listed by David will give you all the background you need to create any custom tag desired. For more information on extending custom capabilities into the schedule tables themselves, look for the following brain dump by Scott Arvin of Autodesk titled: Property Data Enhancements. It was released in March of 2003. It should be available on Chris' site or Rob Starz' site.

If you have Paul Aubin's book "Autodesk Architectural Desktop, An Advanced Implementation Guide", you will find what you need in Chapter 6. Even though this book was written for ADT 3.3 you will find it invaluable in truly understanding the inner workings of ADT. Much of it is still applicable to 2004 and 2005.

If you care to share what you are working on, perhaps one of us has already created it or can assist you in the next step.