Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painfully slow pan and zoom in paperspace

Login to Give a bone

Default Painfully slow pan and zoom in paperspace

I am having to wait extended periods of time for zooming and panning around in a locked viewport in paperspace. I have not had this problem so extensively in previous versions and it's driving me bonkers! Even the most simple drawings.

Any ideas?

Regards,
    Craig

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Painfully slow pan and zoom in paperspace

After becoming very frustrated with 2008, I reinstalled 2007 (please don't ask why I uninstalled as this is also a touchy issue) and to my surprise 2008 suddenly started zooming and panning with normal speed??!!

Login to Give a bone

you know, I have experience similar problems. My workstation I have Autocad 06 installed, ran great, installed 08, and suddenly both 06 and 08 start very very slow. 06 used to pop right up with no problems. now its taking me about 2-3 min. before im fully up and running, then things go smoothly. My home computer With 07 and a liscense of 08 installed both run fine. The computers are similarly setup, except that my home computer is running Vista 32

Login to Give a bone

did you ever find what was causing the problem? I have four machines on acad 2007 map that suddenly started this same "slow" behavior yesterday afternoon.

Login to Give a bone

Theres another thread in this forum with the same issues. Here's what I posted there:

Same thing happened to me. I was running ACA, but hadn't updated any of the other machines yet. I have my plt files on the network and I noticed that sometimes I would also get an error message about a plot style wizard not being able to be found along with my pan and zoom being agonizingly slow. That's because the shortcut was from ADT2007, which was no longer on my machine, hence all the directories were gone.

Anyway, I had the plot style wizard shortcut for ADT2007 in the same PLT directory on my network that my plot style wizard shortcut for ACA2008 was. Long story short, I deleted the old one for 2007, and my pan and zoom were instantly fixed. I'm not sure why that makes it do what it does, but it worked for me. Hope that helps.

Login to Give a bone

I'll check the plot files and see what I can find. The really weird thing is that when we are in Model Space in the locked viewport, pan and zoom are super slow... if you grip select anything in model space, zoom and pan are normal? Don't ask me why someone tried that, but it reacts the same on all machines.

We did move all our drawing files to a new file server yesterday, and one by one all of the machines have developed the same problem. I just noticed that the "plot" command takes about 5-10 seconds to come up. (All workstations are dual core or better with 3gb ram).

Thanks for the input!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dcc View Post
    I'll check the plot files and see what I can find. The really weird thing is that when we are in Model Space in the locked viewport, pan and zoom are super slow... if you grip select anything in model space, zoom and pan are normal? Don't ask me why someone tried that, but it reacts the same on all machines.

We did move all our drawing files to a new file server yesterday, and one by one all of the machines have developed the same problem. I just noticed that the "plot" command takes about 5-10 seconds to come up. (All workstations are dual core or better with 3gb ram).

Thanks for the input!
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. My plot command was taking about 15 seconds until I deleted the plot style wizard shortcut that was pointing to the ADT2007 directory on my C drive. I'm thinking that's the problem.

Login to Give a bone

I found that clearing the "Display plot styles" check box in Page Setup Manager helped somewhat. It's not perfect yet, although much improved, but I'll also try the earlier tip about the plot style files.

My setup worked fine in 2006. Now I have upgraded to 2008 anything in paper space is slow. My dwg's and all config files are on a NAS server.

Andy

Login to Give a bone

Further to my last post...

...yes, deleting the wizards helped me too.

Andy

Login to Give a bone

I really struggled with this for two weeks. I also noticed that when I browsed to folders on the server that had over a thousand files, I always got the flashlight for a few seconds. (About the same amount of time each zoom took in AutoCAD.) So, I hired a guy from my local pc store to come out and take a look. We spent about four hours going through every setting that we could think of on the server and workstations. We noticed that one of the pcs was actually much faster than the others, AutoCAD and file browsing. He noticed that this particular pc had several additional settings in a registry key that is for TCPIP. He also remembered a program to optimize network connection settings. The file is available at SpeedGuide.net. http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php We ran it on the server and all workstations.. Everything is great. It seemed the main difference was MTU packet size being set to 1500. Everything is super fast right now and working great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast