See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't delete or move objects-Corrupt File??

Login to Give a bone

Default Can't delete or move objects-Corrupt File??

I have been working in a file for quite some time now and yesterday, I was in the middle of editing one of my design options and tried to delete a wall that I no longer wanted and Revit gave me a serious error and told me to exit or continue without save. Bottom line is, I can't move this wall away from the building, I can't delete it, I can't change it's type, I can't edit it's profile, but I can change it's top and bottom contraints, but that's it. I then tried to work on another part of the building and tried to delete a window, change it, move it etc., and the same thing occured. I then tried to edit the profile of another completely un-related wall and it happened again.

Has this happened to anyone before? Does this mean my file is corrupt? I've sent in a support request and hope to get this resolved soon. Problem is, I had plan sets I had to have done yesterday to send to the engineer and then this happened, so now I am really behind! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Josh

I could stop if I wanted to Maximillian's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't delete or move objects-Corrupt File??

Are you sure that it doesn't have anything to do with the way you setup your design options?

Login to Give a bone

I've been working with my design options for a long time now. They are permanent design options for exterior facade's. I have them seperated fairly well. I have in this particular file. One for elevation A, one for elevation B, then an A1 and a B1. The A and B are for the front walls and the 3-car garage, I also have the roof and slabs as they each need their own due to the footprint change from the facade. The A1 and B1 are the same design style on the exterior, but allow for the change of the 3-car to an extra room, both having the roofs and slabs in those as well. These two were created by duplicating the A & B options. But there are no conflicts between any of them. This error occured out of the blue and the elements I was working on were within or around only elements in the current design options, so I don't think there could be any way it would be fighting with another element in another options because there weren't any in the same area. I know that proabably doesnt' explain much without seeing the file, but you asked

Josh

Login to Give a bone

I've had that error pop up during save to central numerous times this week. One day I even ended up losing work and support said there was some premission conflict that could not be resolved. Have you run audit on your file when opening? I'd try that. I was also getting fatal errors when STC'ing and then I found that closing my views (the elevations seemed to be causing the issue) and opening a simple drafting view helped and managed to STC. Later I got the serious error dialog during STC again and I tried the same thing and it worked (now I wonder if I could have done the same initially and not lose an afternoon's work!). Anyway, I don't know what might be causing that error; the dialog tends to be quite unhelpful. And you're probably not using worksets eh?

As a temporary workaround while you resolve the issue, consider using filters to hide the objects you want deleted. Use the comments field ex: "Trash" and then create a filter for "Trash" and uncheck the visibility.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks David,

I'd try the fitler approach, except the reason why I needed the objects deleted as these were the last few elements in the design that needed to be changed before I went on with life. If I hide them, then I won't be able to put other things in their place as far as other penetrations....or can I. I might just have duplicates?

No, I'm not using worksets as of now. I have remote offices, but we still haven't worked out how we are going to work on the same file. I thought the remote desktop approach would be the solutions, but it seems I need to upgrade service as the upload speeds are bad, and the regen time when they are working remolty are terrible. We're not sure where to go from here and you get little to no help from autodesk concernnig the issue, so we are goign to have to do more research before making a final decision.

In the meantime, I'm dead on this file unless I stumble onto a solution or support get's back to me in a hurry.

Josh

Login to Give a bone

When you say you get little to no help from autodesk, have you sent them the file? They need to see it and fix it for you. I would file a support request and you should get an email from them in a couple hours.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

Hey Scott,

I was referring to working remotly with other offices and how to share files between the two over the internet. Sorry if I was rambling there. But since you brought it up, I went back and looked through my support requests and I had asked them about sharing remotly and they actually gave me quite a bit info, so I guess that was a little unfair to say there wasnt' much help there. I actually re-opened it since we have done more since then and I think they may be able suggest something that may work based off of what they were trying to tell me before. Thanks!

I have filed a support request for the current issue and am eagerly awaiting a response from them this morning. I believe they are the only ones who can do something for me at this point as I've tried everything I can think of.

Thanks
    Josh

Login to Give a bone

So I have an update for the funky file. Autodesk came through on Monday morning. Got a hold of me at 6:15am. I had been working away for about an hour-1/2 so far, so it timed out really well. They researched my file througout the day and wrote back and let me know that by going through the 'review errors' feature under the tools menu, that by taking care of most of those errors, it had free'd up the elements that were not deleting, moving etc. I didn't even know that was there by the way. There were a lot of them, mostly to do with joined geometry, over-lapping lines etc. So I unjoined a ton of geometry, then re-joined it, and it free'd most everything up. Apparently if you cut an element that is having a problem, this somehow helps, so I did that to a stubborn wall, then was able to start manipulating it again.

Hope this helps someone sometime.
    Josh

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for reporting back on this. It continues to show how important it is not to ignore Revit's warnings. Cleaning the Review Warnings dialog should be an integral part of the regular workflow in Revit.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yup... It is now the first thing i check when users start complain of strange things happening in the model. More often than not, cleaning out even the majority of them seems to restore the model to a much smoother running (and much smaller) file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast