Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: And speaking of sharing...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Standing on the shoulders of giants... in Atlanta
    Login to Give a bone

I've used Gnutella [Limewire], WinMX, and KazaaLite for file sharing in the past. To save Zoog some server space, I'm considering placing my miscellaneous Revit families in my shared directory. These would be families or harmless(?) objects only, as opposed to clients' projects & models.

Any thoughts or interest?

AUGI Addict christopher.zoog51272's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: And speaking of sharing...

Interesting, how would it work? I use limewire Pro for mp3's, but I never considered using it to share families! Could sombody search a specific user's shared library? or would they have to serch the entire gnutella network?

sounds like a cool idea.

Login to Give a bone

Specific searches are allowed under Limewire. To allow others to search your directory:

View>>Monitor>>Incoming Searches
    Check 'Enable' option

I'm using version Lime 2.9.7 [freebie] for now and must remember to check this option every time I open the program -- which is frequently because this version won't reconnect without a restart when knocked offline...

BTW, since you're a Linux fan, have any good tips for CAD on same? Ie.: have you tried Varkon, etc...?

AUGI Addict christopher.zoog51272's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Kosty
    Specific searches are allowed under Limewire. To allow others to search your directory:

View>>Monitor>>Incoming Searches
    Check 'Enable' option

I'm using version Lime 2.9.7 [freebie] for now and must remember to check this option every time I open the program -- which is frequently because this version won't reconnect without a restart when knocked offline...

BTW, since you're a Linux fan, have any good tips for CAD on same? Ie.: have you tried Varkon, etc...?
    Cool thanks for the limewire info, I've never really dug into it before.

As far as linux cad, I havn't really explored the options yet. (believe or not I'm still kind of linux newbie) I have looked at a rendering program called radiance. It supposed to be an extremly powerful, but extremly complex redering engine. But it is availible on a GNU license. Jeffery McGrew would know better than me, he's tinkered around with it before. he may have even gotten a revit model into it?

Login to Give a bone

More on Limewire settings:

Step 1: Tools>>Options>>Sharing>>Shared Directories

Step 2: Tools>>Options>>Sharing>>Shared Extensions: add 'rvt;' 'rfa;' etc...

Enough people using this setup might acually win some hearts and minds in the "Peer-to-peer-sharing-is-only-for-STEALING -intellectual-property-and-therefore-just-plain-evil" arena...

Login to Give a bone

I spent a long time running a server using Hotline (3D models, graphics, textures, etc.) and would also be willing to look at serving files, using it or other software.

Also, it looks like I will be involved in running the Oz user group, and we will have FTP space (which will of course be open to all).
    Wes

Login to Give a bone

What is hotline?

There is Linux CAD out there, but only the very simplest stuff is GPL and I haven't looked at the more comlex ones.

Aside from Radiance there are other rendering packages that are under GPL, including POVRay which I think has the capacity to work all your machines as a render farm - for those of you who are so inclined.

If your pockets are really deep you could go out and buy Renderman from Pixar.

P

Login to Give a bone

I'd like to revisit this topic if there's any interest. I'm starting to accumulate a fairly decent collection of rfa's so I'm guessing that the power users in this group must have monstrous libraries to work with. I have been pretty lazy about posting objects to RUGI and have noticed that, while its still going, there isn't a heckuva' lot of new stuff. Since it takes time and effor to post things -- :-p -- anyone else sharing their rfa's via peer-to-peer?

JK

Login to Give a bone

With RUGI gone and AUGI not filling in the gap as of yet I am in full support of some sort of file sharing setup. I am not sure what I may be able to contribute to aiding in getting something setup, but anything I can offer I will.

Login to Give a bone

Same here... I can probably even find space on our server if I'm nice to the IT dept.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast