Thread: Adding together the area value of two Attributes, place result into a third Attribute

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Adding together the area value of two Attributes, place result into a third Attribute

I want to create a block with two attributes that read the areas of two Polylines using fields, and with a third attribute with a field that adds up the areas returned by the previous attributes. Can someone give an example of the required formula syntax?

Thanks,

All AUGI, all the time zoomharis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Adding together the area value of two Attributes, place result into a third Attribute

This thread has some field calculations using block attribute values. In your case, insert the two attribute values one by one in the formula column seperated by '+' operator to get the sum.

To insert block attribute values inside formula column, Right click --> Insert Field --> Choose 'Object' field category --> Select Block then select the attribute listed there.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Adding together the area value of two Attributes, place result into a third Attribute

Thank you. I still haven't got what I need. I want to make a formula work inside a third attribute in the same block. Is that possible? I don't want the sum to be made on a table.
    Last edited by sifuentes; 2007-05-03 at 07:57 PM.

Login to Give a bone

That is possible. link the first 2 attributes to the objects in the drawing, pulling the areas. In the third attribute, use the formula category, right click in the formula window, pick object category, click the block you are working on, select the attribute, value & add them together. Drilling into attributes like this requires 1 more regen to update the field.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, that work Wroebuck. However, the field and/or formula has to be worked out manually. Does anyone know if it is possible to "predefine" some sort of code for the third attribute that would add up the areas pulled out by fields on attributes 1 and 2?

Login to Give a bone

You can try this thread too.

Login to Give a bone

Just found this thread.
    I want to do something similiar but need to undrstand how this works.
    How does the formula know where it is getting the data from. How can I add additional inputs to the same formula, is it as simple as 1+2*3?

I also need to use IIf statements too.

Bill