See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Elevation View Depth (again)

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Elevation View Depth (again)

Being very specific this time as I have done a search on the topic and it has been fairly well covered although I couldn't find specifics regarding shadows.

For those who use shadows in elevations to show depth and not lineweight:
    do you have the shadow coming from the same direction in each elevation (ie 4 sun settings)?
    I have already been told that a 0.18mm lineweight for everything works well
    What kind of sun and shade values have you found to work well?
    I am contemplating also using the lineweight tool vary sparingly to highlight certain aspects of an elevation when required - has anyone tried this type of thing successfully?

Thanks,
    Rob

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Elevation View Depth (again)

To add to my question - 4 different sun angles meaning sun angle relative to view.

In particular I have considered something low in the sky coming over the viewers right shoulder as a generic sun angle - say from 45deg and the sun in the sky at an angle equal to mid winter.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rjcrowther
    do you have the shadow coming from the same direction in each elevation (ie 4 sun settings)?
    Yes. For as long as I can remember this is some kind of architectural standard. I only use actual sun directions when doing sun studies.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcrowther
    What kind of sun and shade values have you found to work well?
    I use a Shadow value of 30, but that values suits our printers.

I could stop if I wanted to kpaxton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

For my purposes, I've kept the lineweights pretty 'standard' - meaning that I don't throw everything to one lineweight in the elevations. I do have them starting light and try to not be too heavy-handed.

As for the shadows in elevations, which I use too, I made a copy of the 'Sunlight from Top Left' - and set it for "Directly" with Azimuth at 225 and Altitude at 35 and Relative to View (checked) - Ground plane (checked). The shadow setting I use is typically between 20 and 25. I use this one same setting in ALL my elevations.

To me these settings are a personal preference to what you think looks 'good' and gets the job done! ...and what your printer can handle.

For my work, I don't necessarily want 'realism' - I want to be able to highlight and showcase the different planes of the elevation. This could be changed if the planes i want to highlight are in a different direction.

Kyle

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Kyle. In my initial mucking around I have set all lineweights to 0.18 and azimuth and altitude to 135 and 35.

I tried altitude at 45 to begin with but found the shadows cast on the walls were a bit too long. I also had the shadows at 40 but then went to 30 on Chad's input. I haven't printed anything yet - still on screen but I get the idea of a suitable setting from you both.

I was thinking of lowering the altitude a liitle further, maybe 30 degrees but again I have an idea of a setting that someone else has found to work and it probably gets to personal taste as to the best and most suitable way to show a building.

I also found Relative to View was the only way to go as when you line up the elevations on one sheet it looks bloody awful to have shadows coming from all directions (in my opinion anyway).

I need to get back to lineweight and have a think about that but I was contemplating taking the linework tool to the individual part I want to highlight or those that I don't think the cast shadows are picking up correctly.

Chad, can you recall what shape this Architectural standard was. I am assuming it is not an Aussie Standard but something from an Architectural Handbook of some description?

Login to Give a bone

I have overall elevation views set with shadows (20% shadows or the reproductions make them look horrible), typically at 1/16" scale (buildings are quite large). Then I use AMG with modified Silhouette Edges. This does screw up a bit if you have sweeps, but overall I find it worth it and the elevations read quite well. I'll post a few B&W examples when I get a chance.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino
    I have overall elevation views set with shadows (20% shadows or the reproductions make them look horrible), typically at 1/16" scale (buildings are quite large). Then I use AMG with modified Silhouette Edges. This does screw up a bit if you have sweeps, but overall I find it worth it and the elevations read quite well. I'll post a few B&W examples when I get a chance.
    Will look forward to seeing them when you get a chance.

Thanks
    Rob