Thread: Wall Height tied to CLG HT Shared Parameter?

Login to Give a bone

Default Wall Height tied to CLG HT Shared Parameter?

I have searched AUGI, but I cannot find any info on this request: can/should wall's height be tied to a Ceiling Height shared parameter? The typcial T.I. project always has a relatively uniform ceiling height.

The desire is to have 6 walls tied right to Ceiling Height, some other wall types (e.g. fired rated) all the way to structural deck, and some (acoustic) to have wall framing to deck but wall finish to be tied to ceiling height. I can force the created walls to do this, but how about a default setting.

I created a CLG HT shared parameter, and a CLG HT reference plane, but I cannot sort out how to link them. I have a sneaking suspicion that this may not be a good idea. Any thoughts on wall heights in your template?

Should this CLG HT be it's own level? Then, the Top of Wall contraint can be set to CLG HT. The thing is, what if your project has three floors? That sounds like too many levels, thus the attempt at shared paramters.

THANK YOU for thiking this over.
    Last edited by Willard; 2007-05-05 at 10:16 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall Height tied to CLG HT Shared Parameter?

For those walls that go up to the ceiling - select the walls - use the attch button - select top - select the ceiling. This will constrain them to the surface of the ceiling.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for the attach walls tip.

Rather then editing them once in place, is it possible to have a per-project CLG HT variable driving their heights upon creation?

Login to Give a bone

Still thinking outloud, sorry, but...

Top Contraint is an INSTANCE parameter of the wall, so this may not be feasible. I was trying to define a TYPE parameter for the wall height.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Willard
    Still thinking outloud, sorry, but...

Top Contraint is an INSTANCE parameter of the wall, so this may not be feasible. I was trying to define a TYPE parameter for the wall height.
    All the things you are mentioning - just can't be done. You could use the API to periodically reset the height of certain wall types, but it can't be done automatically.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for the clarification Aaron. I had a sneaking suspicion that this idea might not be good modeling practice. It seemed logical that a Project Paramter or Shared Parameter for ceiling height, could be tied to Unconnected [wall] Height.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I don't think it has anything to do with good or bad modeling practice Willard. Personally, I think it would be quite nice for us to have the ability to make formulaic links to system family parameters. Usually, we have a certain level of consistency in almost all of our projects, but Revit does not currently reinforce this kind of consistency.

As in your example, I'd like to be able to have a parameter called "scheduled wall height" or the like with a couple of "values" like Partial Height 42", Bottom Of Ceiling, 6" Above Ceiling, and To Structure. These values would then be linked to the unconnected height parameter and I could set what those values are equal to in terms of feet and inches as needed. It would also be nice if I could set the finish layers to separate from the top of the wall automatically (by a default distance) when I changed the "Acoustic Construction" parameter to "on".

But, these changes, though they would be nice, are way down on my list of top 100 things Revit needs now... So, patience is (as usual) your best friend in this regard.