See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I really a Cad Manager

Login to Give a bone

Default Am I really a Cad Manager

I work for a company that dosnt have a title for someone as Cad manager but I do everything for a group of 3 designers, from training to deciding what software to use. They sent me to AU last year and I plan to attend agian this year. I am setting up standards for the new acad electrical and I am the bosses go to guy. The thing is I am the lowest paid guy in the group and with the lowest title. I have just become the chairman for a new user group and just feel like I am being taking avantage of... So what are the guidelines of being a Cad Manager...
    Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Am I really a Cad Manager

First off.. Welcome.

Now then... Been there. Done that. You're the newbie, too.
    You have three choices from what I see:

1. Put up and Shut up! You're working; be happy.

2. ROI your salary. Pick a number and prove it. Research. Show statistics and similar company situations that help prove your point. Give them a definition of a title, this is what they do daily, this is the pay range, these are the typical requirements for the position, and this is where I fit. You're already the go-to guy in the boss's favor. Pull the trigger; go get the title and be prepared to lead.

3. (Whether you take it or not) Always keep looking for a job! All the way to the point where you find that absolutely perfect spot. At some point you will hit a job where it all fits. People, money, technology, location, style.

Either way... Good luck. Been there.
    Last edited by madcadder; 2007-04-04 at 04:49 PM. Reason: oops.... typo again.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel.j.cox
    So what are the guidelines of being a Cad Manager...
    What kind of info are you looking for? The real answer is that being a CAD Manager could be a wide variety of things. In your case you seem more like the office CAD administrator than a CAD Manager as by definition, you need to manage someone to be a manager but you can administer and train it without being a manager. As a result, don't expect CAD manager pay but expect the typical pay you would get in your position... perhaps a bit higher for your unique technical expertise. But if there is specific info you are looking for feel free to ask, we'll be happy to answer.

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Am I really a Cad Manager

Hello Samuel,
    Welcome to AUGI. You've come to the right place with your question.

Do you mind telling which version of Autocad your team will be using?

I have just finished a 3 year position in a company, similar to your case. I was responsible for CAD standards for a team of three CAD drafters. Okay, I had negotiated a better salary than the 3 drafters, but hey I am 38 years old, experience counts in that equation. (Note that the 3 other members of staff resented both my higher salary and the fact I was there to tell them how to do things.) My thoughts are these; set yourself some easily attainable targets, tell your boss what they are. Explain to him that in 6 months time once you've met these targets you would appreciate a wage increase; get the agreement in writing from him. (The increase need not be significant, as Madcadder suggests, you should keep looking for a better job - The fact you got increased responsibility and then 'were' eventually paid more, will indicate to future employers that your 'current' boss was happy with how you dealt with the new responsibilities. The future company should then offer you a decent wage (In theory, anyway.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    ...The real answer is that being a CAD Manager could be a wide variety of things...
    I agree with Dilbert; perhaps the first thing you need to do is sit down quietly at home & think through what you envisage doing in this new position. (Threads like this one may give you some ideas for that exercise.)

Secondly, once you know what you're looking for, then come back and use the forum search facility, or the 'Search this forum' button. Key words like "CAD manager" will turn up a multitude of information, for this reason I suggested jotting down you initial thoughts first.

Next, quickly skim through the search results until you find a discussion that fits your own particular case and read it through from start to finish.

Finally & perhaps most importantly, enjoy!

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You could be in my shoes. I do all the same stuff you listed in this post.
    My company combined with another company and they already have
    a cad manager. No hope for me. If I was a cad manager, then there may
    have been some light to the higher ups that 2 of us existed and somebody
    may be out of a job. Something to think about.

Login to Give a bone

Are you managing the CAD department?

The answer to this question lies the answer to your own.
    Last edited by seventwo; 2007-04-16 at 06:09 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel.j.cox
    I work for a company that dosnt have a title for someone as Cad manager but I do everything for a group of 3 designers, from training to deciding what software to use. They sent me to AU last year and I plan to attend agian this year. I am setting up standards for the new acad electrical and I am the bosses go to guy. The thing is I am the lowest paid guy in the group and with the lowest title. I have just become the chairman for a new user group and just feel like I am being taking avantage of... So what are the guidelines of being a Cad Manager...
    Thanks
    If I'm not mistaken, once they attach the word "manager" to your employment, everything changes, from your "real" level of responsibility to how much they pay.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Am I really a Cad Manager

CAD Management changes from company to company. At my current job I am treated like management. At my last job I was treated a little better than a drafter and before that I was somewhere in between. There really is very little you can do to change an employer's perspective of the CAD Manager position. Pick the right company and continue to expand your skills you will be golden, if not to your employer maybe the next. I am constantly re-evaluating what I can do to make myself more valuable.

Attached is a detailed breakdown of my duties from my last employer. I hope it helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by todd.69291; 2007-04-10 at 03:14 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by todd.69291
    CAD Management changes from company to company. At my current job I am treated like management. At my last job I was treated a little better than a drafter and before that I was somewhere in between. There really is very little you can do to change an employer's perspective of the CAD Manager position. Pick the right company and continue to expand your skills you will be golden, if not to your employer maybe the next. I am constantly re-evaluating what I can do to make myself more valuable.

Attached is a detailed breakdown of my duties from my last employer. I hope it helps.
    Thank You for that informative PDF Todd. IT details my Job to the letter, except the title is missing.

To each there own I suppose. I know my company doesn't want there to be a division of titles so I'm Sr. CAD designer with all the responsibilities of a CAD manager.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Am I really a Cad Manager

a useful site www.salary.com You can search your geographic location and your job description and experience level to get a rough idea of what your salary should be. It is a little rough for CADdies considering there isn't a drafter category. I found something in the civil field, I just had to hunt a bit for it. It is a bit eye opening and it is a good reference to use when you approach your boss for a raise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast