Thread: Layer Naming Convention

Login to Give a bone

Post RE: Layers named by number

I have looked everywhere, this is the closest thread I could find to post a layer naming question so I brought it back to life.

I am currently developing a production manual revamping the hardly existing CAD standard for the interiors department for my company. The existing in use set of layers have been imported from the architectural set, they have been using for a number of years layers based on the AIA that has only a major group and a number. The number is the layer color.

Example, this means if there are 6 different lineweights for walls, there will be 6 layers. I have not been able to find in the web anything that describes the pros and cons of this method.

Refer to the attached picts, they are pretty self explanatory.

I am promoting a descriptive set of layers that requires little training. The other I believe should come with a manual at all times to know where to place things.

The office uses a pull down menu to select layers that minimizes any misspelling or extra layers.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Layer Naming Convention

Those of us old enough remember when AutoCAD only had numbered layers.
    In the AEC industry - in the USA - we have a standard layer naming convention, so that we know what is supposed to be on what layer. Of course this is totally independent of the color of the layer, or what line weight it plots out to.
    It is fun to remember the "good ol' days"

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanschade
    Those of us old enough remember when AutoCAD only had numbered layers.
    In the AEC industry - in the USA - we have a standard layer naming convention, so that we know what is supposed to be on what layer. Of course this is totally independent of the color of the layer, or what line weight it plots out to.
    It is fun to remember the "good ol' days"
    I guess I need to re-phrase the question and simplify it...

What is the general opinion on creating layers to classify lineweights and linetypes vs layers classifying elements and objects? ... in the architecture, interiors and planning industries...

Login to Give a bone

By choice, in AEC and civil/Land work, I prefer to structure my layer names by Discipline-System-Element-Modifiers

A-WALL architect's wall
    C-ROAD-ALGN roadway alignment
    V-NODE-HCTL surveyor's horizontal control point

Especially in a multi discipline environment, this quickly gives you which discipline 'owns' that object, what it belongs to, and what it is. And yes, it's NCS

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag
    By choice, in AEC and civil/Land work, I prefer to structure my layer names by Discipline-System-Element-Modifiers

A-WALL architect's wall
    C-ROAD-ALGN roadway alignment
    V-NODE-HCTL surveyor's horizontal control point

Especially in a multi discipline environment, this quickly gives you which discipline 'owns' that object, what it belongs to, and what it is. And yes, it's NCS
    Completely agree with you, I need any comments in regards to this method to asses the methodology to change the culture in place in my company:

A-WALL-4 wall pen color 4
    A-WALL-2 wall pen color 2
    A-HIDD2x-1 hidden line 2x pen color 1

IMO this method makes drawings excruciatingly slow to work with due to the number of CAD properties available to create a new layer and where you are placing the elements, besides the need for a descriptive manual besides your keyboard...

Login to Give a bone

For one iteration of that, between the initial AIA CLG release and the next, we included a 'color code' in the layer name, replacing the delimiter in position 7, e.g. A-WALL4. It made it simple to code layer automation tools for most of the common situations,

But, it was not flexible, and assumed that the drawing would not be re-used for another purpose. With the use of Xrefs, and Acad2008 being able to change layer color with Viewport overrides, including the color or linetype in the name is problematic. The design drawing _I_ intended for a floor plan, can and will be a background for the electrical layout. Embedding a color, linetype, or pen weight in the name is not helpful, as the electrical layout drawings will need to ghost my wall lines, using a different color, linetype, or lineweight for their purposes.

It's important to create a drawing that meets your needs -- it's equally important in many circumstances to create a drawing that can be reused or repurposed downstream.