Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to snap to Modelspace Objects through a Paperspace viewport

Login to Give a bone

Cool Unable to snap to Modelspace Objects through a Paperspace viewport

I am using AutoCAD 2006. I can not snap to a model space object through a view port while I am in a layout (paper space). Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Richard

All AUGI, all the time TerribleTim's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Unable to snap to Modelspace Objects through a Paperspace viewport

I've had that same problem, don't know why. But if you click the osnap button on the toolbar for the one you want it works once, then you have to click again for the next one, and so on.

Login to Give a bone

Weird. I don't have that problem.

To add to TeriblTim's response: hitting F3 would be easier than clicking the OSNAP button.
    Last edited by seventwo; 2007-05-08 at 11:15 PM.

All AUGI, all the time TerribleTim's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I only find that problem if I'm trying to snap to an intersection while in paper space and the intersection is in model space.

Login to Give a bone

OK . . . Actually the problem has more specifically to do with zooming to a window by snapping to objects. Now that I've tested it, it's a problem no matter what "space" your currently working in. It used to be -- seems to me way back when -- that you could zoom by snapping to objects. I guess you can't do that anymore. But, if anyone knows differently, please let me know.

The thing is, I used to be able to set up a rectangle in model space that was a scaled version of a particular view port in paper space (in a layout). Then back in paper space, you can make that view port active and zoom window using the corners of the scaled rectangle as your pick points. It's a neat way to scale a drawing into a paper space view port. It's annoying not having snap grab those corners for me.

Richard
    Last edited by pinckney3; 2007-05-08 at 11:45 PM.

Login to Give a bone

I remember doing that as well and haven't been able to since... R14?!

The intersection thing also does NOT work for me unless I type "INT" to activate the OSNAP. Weird.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by seventwo
    I remember doing that as well and haven't been able to since... R14?!

The intersection thing also does NOT work for me unless I type "INT" to activate the OSNAP. Weird.

Exactly!!

Glad to know I'm not alone.

Richard

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I can see that it has been 5 years since the first discussion had started, but we are still having the same problem and writing INT to snap in modelspace

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Try Shift right click to bring up the snaps on the fly. Allot easier. Also to Zoom to an object, type in keyboard shortcut Z for Zoom, and O for object.

All AUGI, all the time arshiel88's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Running OSNAPs are normally inactive while zooming. This is to avoid accidentally picking snaps (e.g. an endpoint) that are beyond the active view and end up having a view that is not what you want. Who wants to zoom-window with running OSNAPS anyway? Unless you are zooming for a paper space viewport. But zooming-window (for navigation) is a lot more often than zooming for paper space.
    So, like what already been mentioned, you need to activate the OSNAPS manually while zooming via command line or the Shift+Right Click menu;

and..

Quote Originally Posted by seventwo View Post
    ...hitting F3 would be easier than clicking the OSNAP button.
    ...will not activate it while zooming.
    Last edited by arshiel88; 2012-08-13 at 08:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast