Thread: Can Inventer cope with Large plant layouts

Login to Give a bone

Red face Can Inventer cope with Large plant layouts

Can Inventer 11 Pro manage large plant layouts such as a complete paper machine. What are the limitations. Is it best to break the plant down into bays to limit the amount of parts. Has any one done something of a similar scale and pass on advice on how to tackle this project

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can Inventer cope with Large plant layouts

G'day Alfred,

what version of Inventor are you running, so that I can move your post to the appropriate forum.
    Last edited by bill.adams; 2007-05-09 at 06:53 AM. Reason: correcting my poor spelling & grammar
    Cheers @blads
    Mac Geek | Building Design Suite 2020 | Semi-Retired Building Designer / CAD-BIM Trainer | Autodesk Certified Professional

Login to Give a bone

Inventer 11 Pro

Login to Give a bone

G'day Alfred

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the Local Chapters - General forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Cheers, Bill
    Forum Moderator
    Last edited by bill.adams; 2007-05-09 at 08:31 AM. Reason: correcting my poor grammar
    Cheers @blads
    Mac Geek | Building Design Suite 2020 | Semi-Retired Building Designer / CAD-BIM Trainer | Autodesk Certified Professional

Manufacturing Moderator jonathan.landeros's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by alfred.putter
    Can Inventer 11 Pro manage large plant layouts such as a complete paper machine. What are the limitations. Is it best to break the plant down into bays to limit the amount of parts. Has any one done something of a similar scale and pass on advice on how to tackle this project
    I've not done anything of that large of scale, but I'd definitely look at Level of Detail. You can create portions of your plant (such as a bay), into Level of Detail Views. You only load the bays you need at any given time, adn that's the only one brought into memory.

It can help stretch a systems resources a lot further so you're not loading anything unnecessary.
    Jonathan Landeros
    KETIV Technologies
    Orange County, California.

I've got a blog: www.inventor-tales.blogspot.com

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction.Next stop, Looneyville.” -Bob the Skull in the Dresden Files

Login to Give a bone

How many parts are you talking about? I'm currently working in a model with around 30,000 parts in it, many sub assemblies is one secret to large assemblies and Level of Detail is a huge part of it.
    Best way with levels of detail (LOD's) is to create a LOD in each subassembly and suppress all the parts that you do not require in your main assembly. Then once in your main assembly create a LOD, then expand your sub-assemblies in the browser and right click on your subassembly LOD and select 'Activate'. Save this and you'll then have a much faster main assembly, then next time you open your main assembly and insert it into a drawing use the options tab while opening it and select the LOD that you want to use/open. Much, much faster once LODs are set up.
    Hope this helps, if not I could give you some examples of what I've done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Manufacturing Moderator jonathan.landeros's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

THere are a lot of factors that can affect what IV can handle. A machine with lots of RAM, CPU, etc, will handle more than a weaker machine, of course.

I have seen assemblies go into the several thousand parts without serious problems (although granted, I've seen some that have been pretty ugly too). Although, it's more about number of parts than it is physical size.

Another tip
    Keep it simple when possible. Don't put the 10-32 screws and put a .010 fillet a 20 ft beam for example when they'll never be seen.
    Jonathan Landeros
    KETIV Technologies
    Orange County, California.

I've got a blog: www.inventor-tales.blogspot.com

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction.Next stop, Looneyville.” -Bob the Skull in the Dresden Files