Thread: slooooooooow drafting

Login to Give a bone

Angry slooooooooow drafting

I'm working on a model of approx. 57MB. At this point in the project, i'm beginning to draft detail components into views of the model, which is taking a very long time. Commands as simple as drawing a line, hang up on the screen and make me want to pull out my hair.

My computer is 1.76 GHz, with 1GB of RAM, which seems like it should be adequate.

I am working mainly in individual views, which is a bit faster than working in a view on a drawing sheet, but any tips on settings or adjustments to speed drafting up would be greatly appreciated!!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: slooooooooow drafting

You don't have any renderings captured in your file do you? And you have purged the file of extras right? And finally, what about your windows swap space, you have at least 1/3 of your program drive harddisk space available?

All AUGI, all the time BillyGrey's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You can prepair your model for breaking up and linking (like xref'ing) if desired.

Ex:

Does your model contain a topography and site data (entorage//plants/etc)?
    If so, I would do a save as "sitexyz", then delete building/components in that new model, leaving only the site data, then save again.

Next you are ready to delete the topo/site data from the original file (or a copy of, better yet),

Now you are ready to work on these components seperately, and speed up you model.
    You link them back into each other when ness, and for CD production.

You can repeat this process with diffrent, discreet parts of the model, I used the site as an example.
    Also, you loose associativity (parametrics) when you link, so if your building footprint changes, you must update your site seperately. You can also control visibility settings in the linked models through view properties, etc.

I know there are other ways, I have yet to explore worksets as an option. I just used this technique on a model that became unmanageable two months into the project, it help allot.

Just my two cents.

Bill

Autodesk Revit Developer
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by nblevins
    I'm working on a model of approx. 57MB. At this point in the project, i'm beginning to draft detail components into views of the model, which is taking a very long time. Commands as simple as drawing a line, hang up on the screen and make me want to pull out my hair.

My computer is 1.76 GHz, with 1GB of RAM, which seems like it should be adequate.

I am working mainly in individual views, which is a bit faster than working in a view on a drawing sheet, but any tips on settings or adjustments to speed drafting up would be greatly appreciated!!
    Could you please get in touch with Revit Support (http://pointa.autodesk.com/local/enu/portal/signin.jsp) on this one and provide the model and the examples of operations that are slow? they would be happy to advise on ways to make it faster in 6.1. And of course we developers will take this into consideration when planning performance improvements in the future releases. Thank you in advance for helping us make Revit a better tool for your needs.