Thread: To Vault or not to Vault... what experiences have people had with using Vault?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default To Vault or not to Vault... what experiences have people had with using Vault?

Just wanted to know if anyone has had any very outragous problems with vault.. we are thinking of using it but are not sure if we want to take that step. Also, will Vault work with Autocad LT?

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: To Vault or not to Vault... what experiences have people had with using Vault?

Vault could be a very useful product.
    The problem I have is that I have to get several people in my
    office to buy in to using it daily.

If I could push them to use it, I definately would have it setup.
    I currently keep all my drawings in a protected user directory.
    It would be nice if there was a way to let other designers to
    check data files out of my library. It would give me a really
    good comfort zone, and I would not have to keep emailing
    data to other employees.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: To Vault or not to Vault... what experiences have people had with using Vault?

How does licensing for Vault work? Is it by seat or do you "have it" and then anyone in the company can log into it?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Rod
    How does licensing for Vault work? Is it by seat or do you "have it" and then anyone in the company can log into it?
    there is no licensing for the Vault. There is a restriction on where you can install it. It has to be installed with a supported Adesk app, I know Inventor, Acad M, Acad E, and I think AutoCAD, not sure what else is supported.

now if you want to set it on folks who don't use cad, you need to get product stream, i know its licensed per seat, not sure how the licensing is implemented.

One other thing, with vault theres a 10 user limtit, this isn't imposed by Autodesk, but by Microsoft. The limit results in the SQL database that Autodesk uses, basicly the free SQL can only handle about ten connections well, plus has a very firm database limit of 2 GBs. You can eliminate both of those issues by upgrading from MSDE 2000, to a full SQL, either SQL 2000 or SQL 2005

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I can think of at most 9 people who would ever ever use it at my company, so the 10 person restriction would not be a probem. The problem would come from the fact that only 4 of us have an Autodesk Program (other then a dwg or a dwf viewer) so we would need to get seats for them

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by donovan.cox
    there is no licensing for the Vault. There is a restriction on where you can install it. It has to be installed with a supported Adesk app, I know Inventor, Acad M, Acad E, and I think AutoCAD, not sure what else is supported.

now if you want to set it on folks who don't use cad, you need to get product stream, i know its licensed per seat, not sure how the licensing is implemented.

One other thing, with vault theres a 10 user limtit, this isn't imposed by Autodesk, but by Microsoft. The limit results in the SQL database that Autodesk uses, basicly the free SQL can only handle about ten connections well, plus has a very firm database limit of 2 GBs. You can eliminate both of those issues by upgrading from MSDE 2000, to a full SQL, either SQL 2000 or SQL 2005
    We're looking into VAULT right now; had our reseller come out for a presentation.

Going the full SQL route is a lot more costly. Plus, the cost of a dedicated box (that probably should be a raid 10).

For a local network there are a lot of programs out there that manage revisions and check-in-check-out. So, Vault may not be the best to fit the bill. (I like the idea of using an adesk product to track adesk output)

For multi-city companies storing in one location this is a great product. Evidently, Vault stores in a manner that lends itself to efficient transfer over the internet. They touted a transfer from Wisconsin to Washington St (something like that) and how fast it was compared to.. But, I don't remember all the details, just the point. It's a lot faster than normal.

Login to Give a bone

Hopefully clearing up some misconceptions.
    With Vault 2008 the default install is SQL Express which clears the 10 user limit that either a workstation o/s or MSDE imposed.
    I have been a Vault administrator for a year or more and I will say that the product is very stable and works exactly like it is documented.
    As far as Vault helping with WAN acceleration that is BS.
    While there is additional expense with setting up a dedicated server to host Vault it doesn't necessarily require a Full SQL version to manage the Database.
    If your install base is more than a couple users I would definitely recommend taking an in depth look at using Vault.
    And get quality training on implementation and use.

Login to Give a bone

In addition to what John said, I've been the admin for our document management system for over 10 years. To implement any dms is going to be a significant investment and should not be attempted without good planning. First, evaluate several systems, not just vault. Each may be a little different and one may suit your company's needs better than another. These days, most do pretty much the same thing, but there may be a difference in something like the user interface that gives one the advantage. Autodesk is relatively new to document management. IMHO, Vault is a little behind in some areas, like the GUI, e.g. Part of this planning may be that you need to do a study to see what the lack of a dms is costing you in terms of risk to lost or missing files, time spent finding files, retrieving docs for those who don't have access, etc, etc. Not every firm needs a dms. Many arch firms just use ADT's project manager. But if you do need one, its usually easy to justify in terms of cost/benefit, ROI. Once you get management buy-in. Then user participation becomes mandatory. All company files go in the vault, and they have to use it. Once they see how easy it is to use and the benefits they get, they like it. Which means a little bit of training is needed. In between that, you need a good migration plan once you commit to a dms. The vendor can help you with that. Except for Autodesk. AFAIK, they don't provide that kind of support.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe
    Autodesk is relatively new to document management. IMHO, Vault is a little behind in some areas,
    Vault is really autodesk's second foray into engineering document ---management, or third if you count buzzsaw and redspark. the old workcenter product was pretty well conceived, but was abandoned, and the users were left in limbo. that was mid-90's if i recall correctly. I still miss the drawing-compare from Workcenter.

When you look at EDMS packages, add a migration path to your checklist. Times change, products change, needs change, and getting locked into a product that no longer fits your requirements is not an enviable position. Is there a clearly defined path to move your documents and their metadata out of the current EDMS and into a different one? How good is the vendor at troubleshooting or remote support? What's the vendor's track record with EDMS and longevity? Is there an administrative tool to resolve check-in/out problems? Can the administrator define revision storage and revision control?

Vault is interesting, but is not in competition with Documentum or the other leaders in the field. Of course, the leaders generally struggle with CAD drawings and reference files in general, and are not at all useful with civil 3D data being stored in Vault, so it's really a question of your priorities, and waht features/capabilities are going to take precedence.