Thread: Open/Save Dialog - custom places

Login to Give a bone

Default Open/Save Dialog - custom places

I find myself navigating our computer network alot with Revit to get to project directories or shared content directories.

I would like to see the ability to put network locations in the left pane of the Open/Save/Save As dialogs, commonly referred to as 'Places' in other application dialogs. This ability is in AutoCAD and other applications wih drag/drop functionality. It saves me a lot of time and grief navigating our network since the structure of it is so large. I always put the projects I am working in there so I dont need to navigate 15 directories deep.

Thanks!

Revit Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Open/Save Dialog - custom places

Go to Settings -> Options -> File Locations Tab

At the bottom of this dialog you will see the Libraries Heading followed by 4 buttons. New, Delete, Move Up and Move Down.

Select the New Button
    Edit the Name
    Type in a path or click near the end of the Library Path field to browse

I've also created a My Projects folder within the My Documents folder. Inside the My Projects folder I have a Local Files folder and a Shortcuts folder. All of my Local Project Files are kept in the Local Files folder. The Shortcuts folder contains links to these project's folder structures on the network. On the Settings -> Options -> File Locations Tab I have the Default path for user files: path set to the My Projects folder. This path is the default for the Open and Save As dialogs. This workflow puts my projects and project network folder structures within 2 mouse clicks after activating a dialog. I typically have too many projects active at one time to organize them efficiently in the left pane so I reserve those paths primarily for content locations.

Another time saver for navigating to families or projects is to setup shortcuts or toolbars on the windows taskbar. I typically have my folder view for these set to thumbnails which allows for quick visuals of the preview images. Then you can simply drag drop the desired family onto the active projects window or project browser to load it into your project. Dropping it onto the Design Bar, Tool Bars or the Background will open the family for editing.