Thread: Updating Layer Key Styles in Exst'g files

Login to Give a bone

Question Updating Layer Key Styles in Exst'g files

Version: ADT2006 SP?
    Problem:
    Finding automated solution to updating the layer key style in existing drawings for over 2 thousand files. I chose to go this route, perhaps I shouldn't have.
    Need to place revision clouds on layers that include addenda information. Currently the available layers are "A-anno-revs". We need A-anno-Revc-000A for Addendum A, A-anno-Revc-000B for Addendum B and so fourth. This is for placing the revision clouds with tool palettes I have created/ modified from the ADT standard tool palettes. It works fine for all new drawing, but not for existing drawings as they already have a layer key style in these existing files that have different Layer Keys (KS). We are using Project navigator so I tried using that to update files, but we went to lunch while it went thru the 2200 plus files and came back to the C++ error. I tried it on a smaller project and that imported the new KS, but didn't set it as current. So, that still makes the user have to go to Open dwg menu> Dwg setup> set as default> Apply and finally hit OK. I would like to find a script or lisp routine that could open all drawings, set the desired KS as current, save a close the file, move on to the next one and repeat step 1. Any advise will be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by gbgonzalez; 2007-05-10 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Give software\ version

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Updating Layer Key Styles in Exst'g files

Please note I have moved this to the ADT General forum.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I don't have any recommendations other that those you have stated. However, if the investment of time is a problem, I would ask the question, "Is it necessary to make all these changes now?" That is, are the 2000 drawings being immediately re-issued? If not, I would wait until such time as the drawings require work for some other reason. In that case, maybe someone knows of a lisp routine that would make the change whenever the drawing is opened.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gbgonzalez
    Version: ADT2006 SP?
    Problem:
    Finding automated solution to updating the layer key style in existing drawings for over 2 thousand files. I chose to go this route, perhaps I shouldn't have.
    Need to place revision clouds on layers that include addenda information. Currently the available layers are "A-anno-revs". We need A-anno-Revc-000A for Addendum A, A-anno-Revc-000B for Addendum B and so fourth. This is for placing the revision clouds with tool palettes I have created/ modified from the ADT standard tool palettes. It works fine for all new drawing, but not for existing drawings as they already have a layer key style in these existing files that have different Layer Keys (KS). We are using Project navigator so I tried using that to update files, but we went to lunch while it went thru the 2200 plus files and came back to the C++ error. I tried it on a smaller project and that imported the new KS, but didn't set it as current. So, that still makes the user have to go to Open dwg menu> Dwg setup> set as default> Apply and finally hit OK. I would like to find a script or lisp routine that could open all drawings, set the desired KS as current, save a close the file, move on to the next one and repeat step 1. Any advise will be greatly appreciated!
    Some assembly required: You can find a synopsis of the LISP functions that work with Layer Standards and Layer Key Styles in the recently reposted attachment in this thread in the Autodesk ACA Customization Discussion Group. There are LISP functions to import a Layer Key Style and to set a style current. You should be able to incorporate those into a LISP routine or script file that does what you want.

If you only not need to change the old files as someone opens them, make certain that your new Layer Key Style is in the file specified as the Auto-import file on the Layering Tab of the Drawing Setup dialog, check the "Always import Layer Key Style when first used in drawing" toggle, check the "Save As Default" toggle, make certain your Units and Scale tabs have reasonable default values set, then click on OK. That should hold for that user on that computer for any drawing opened in the future.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks David this looks pretty promising. I see a few new one that might do the trick. My only problem is I'm not good w/ lisp routines. Any suggestions for a good resource? I'll google in the meantime. Thanks again!

Gabriel

Login to Give a bone

Please post you results. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

I wrote a script routine that opens the drawings (need to type each one) and run the set aec layer key styles as current with the named LKS in quotation marks. Not in the office, but I will try to post is when I get back in town. I tried it on a few test files and it worked. Tried it on the actual files and got errors that it could find the files even though the path was correct. So, still in progress!