Thread: 2008 Icon Symbol Wizard

Login to Give a bone

Cool 2008 Icon Symbol Wizard

Anyone tried to create a new symbol in 2008. When you use Icon Menu Wizard to create the icon it won't display properly (colors inverted or very dim). Autodesk support says this a resolution problem. Their work-around is to change line weight and shrink drawing window down to icon size. This isn't really a reasonable fix. Anyone else tried this?

I could stop if I wanted to RenataP's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2008 Icon Symbol Wizard

Sorry, have not gotten my hands on 2008 yet.
    Do you like it, other then this?
    We do currently use this feature, a lot. There are just not everything we need. Also we are a visual group and like working with dialog boxes and symbols with pictures.
    I am interested in knowing the answer as well.

I could stop if I wanted to RenataP's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_brown
    Anyone tried to create a new symbol in 2008. When you use Icon Menu Wizard to create the icon it won't display properly (colors inverted or very dim). Autodesk support says this a resolution problem. Their work-around is to change line weight and shrink drawing window down to icon size. This isn't really a reasonable fix. Anyone else tried this?
    Welcome aboard!!! Great to see (read) new ones.
    Do you have any special points you would like seen in an ATP class? Looking for interest in Electrical, there are currently two and looking into teaching more. I have received some useful responses and hoping for more input on what everyone is needing for instructions.

Login to Give a bone

SO FAR, everything else seems to work okay. Good product, it's just that they changed the symbol menu and have a at least 1 bug in it, looks nice, if it only worked with user created symbols. Support tech said he would pass it along and maybe they would fix it or put it on wish list. Fixing a bug is canidate for wish list???

Login to Give a bone

David
    I've been using '08 for a couple of weeks now and what I've found is that you first need to change the background to white, ideally, then before you take the 'snapshot' of your block, change the lineweight of the appropriate layers to a width of say 1mm (although this will depend on the size of your blocks - I'm talking standard electrical contacts here) and then you get something that is just about acceptable.
    I've actually ended up creating a 'Test' drg, just to use to create icons, filled with symbols, & with all layers set to a heavier lineweight, then using the 'LWT' button to toggle on or off.
    The other problem you can get is a squeezed up looking icon, depending on the shape of your block.
    The only way to easily cure this if you need to is to paste a screencopy from Acad into something like Photoshop and make a 'square' bmp or png file from there.
    All a bit over the top really isn't it, just to get a decent icon!!
    If you find a quicker way, let me know.
    Cheers
    Pete B.

Manufacturing Moderator gsanchez23's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: 2008 Icon Symbol Wizard

Great reply Pete, I would only add, that I open the user block dwg, change the lynetype to a thicker line and strech the width of the geometry, i might also delete some atributes. The key if to NOT save the modifications after creating the icon.

George.