Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Insertion Points and Visibility States

Login to Give a bone

Default Multiple Insertion Points and Visibility States

Let me start by saying this is my first dynamic block. I don't have the experience I hope others do that read this forum. So if I took the wrong approach to this block please let me know.

I created a dynamic block to show RCP pipe crossings in profile view (x10 vertical exaggeration). Since I was not able to stretch an ellipse I created the different pipe sizes using visibility states. This part went smoothly. The base point is at the invert of the pipe.

Then I added a point parameter and move action to each visibility state at the top of pipe. This is where I am having problems. After I insert the block the point/move works great. But when I use CTRL to cycle between the points during insert the top of pipe point is not in the correct location for any pipe size other than 12".

What do I need to do to get the point parameter to cycle properly with all visibility states?

And while I'm asking questions, is there anyway to get the stretch action to work on an ellipse?

The AutoCAD stretch command doesn't work on ellipses but the the grips do.

I posted the block for anyone who wants to take a look at it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Multiple Insertion Points and Visibility States

you have a move action for each visibility state, so when you move in one state via that point parameter, then switch visibility, it changes where the base point is.

i have a suggestion. see the attached file. the incriments are probably not exactly what your looking for, i just plugged numbers in as examples.

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulsen
    Let me start by saying this is my first dynamic block. I don't have the experience I hope others do that read this forum. So if I took the wrong approach to this block please let me know.

I created a dynamic block to show RCP pipe crossings in profile view (x10 vertical exaggeration). Since I was not able to stretch an ellipse I created the different pipe sizes using visibility states. This part went smoothly. The base point is at the invert of the pipe.

Then I added a point parameter and move action to each visibility state at the top of pipe. This is where I am having problems. After I insert the block the point/move works great. But when I use CTRL to cycle between the points during insert the top of pipe point is not in the correct location for any pipe size other than 12".

What do I need to do to get the point parameter to cycle properly with all visibility states?

And while I'm asking questions, is there anyway to get the stretch action to work on an ellipse?

The AutoCAD stretch command doesn't work on ellipses but the the grips do.

I posted the block for anyone who wants to take a look at it.

Login to Give a bone

Why not have the base point at the other end (top) and and the move parameter at the bottom? that why the defualt insertion point is at the top? Or am i missing something?

I believe it is impossible to change the size of the ellipse with programming

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the replies.

James,

I do have a move action in each visibility state (at least I'm pretty sure I do) but it's still not working correctly. The same thing happens with the block you posted if you change the size during insert and use CTRL to cycle through the insertion points.

Your idea of a lookup table is interesting but I can't draw the pipe accurately using the scale action. Each ellipse changes sizes independently and the distance between the ellipses (pipe thickness) varies for each pipe size. I think I need the stretch action to make this work with a table.

Cory,

Most of the time we would insert this block at the pipe invert but occasionally we may want to insert it at the top of pipe elevation.

Login to Give a bone

If thats the case why not add a rotate? Insert at the base point then rotate to the direction needed. Sorry if im barking up the wrong tree lol

Login to Give a bone

Here is what I use at my company for xsec'ed RCP. Even has output via the use of a lookup. No vis states, used the scale action, with a list of values. Hopefully this helps! Sorry I am a little late with this, been under the gun at work lately and dint have much time for AUGI anymore.

Just a question/concern it seems that there is so much linework in a small area at an exaggerated scale that it wouldn't plot anything different than a thick line. Which is the exact reason why we only show the pipe ID.
    Last edited by GuinnessCAD; 2007-05-30 at 12:31 PM.

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

how about this.

nothing is changed on your original block.

And all you do to make it work is ADD every other drawing object and point parameter in each other vis state's move action. Be sure to NOT include the move actions in with the other move actions.

here ya go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cory
    If thats the case why not add a rotate?
    Good idea but the insertion point is on the inside diameter when it is an invert (bottom) and outside diameter when it is a top.

I'll look at Mark's and Rico's drawings when I get into work this afternoon.

Login to Give a bone

O of course lol how about a flip then?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by marklabell
    Just a question/concern it seems that there is so much linework in a small area at an exaggerated scale that it wouldn't plot anything different than a thick line.
    Our water resources manager wanted these blocks to be accurate so they can be used as a design tool to check clearances. With DIP and small diameter PVC the wall thickness is approximatley 0.5" or less. In these cases I don't think we need to show the walls. With RCP it is important to show the wall thickness. Your block has got me reconsidering using the scale action. I will do some testing with a block that has wall thicknesses to see how close they are using a scale action.

I really like the label. I will most likely be incorporating that into my block.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico
    nothing is changed on your original block.

And all you do to make it work is ADD every other drawing object and point parameter in each other vis state's move action. Be sure to NOT include the move actions in with the other move actions.
    I'm a little confused with this one. You posted a new block but you also stated it was not changed. I did not see any changes in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cory
    O of course lol how about a flip then?
    This won't accomplish what I am looking for.

These are some great suggestions but I still can't use CTRL to toggle between insertion points if I change the pipe size while inserting the block. Maybe if I use the scale action instead of a vis state the point parameter will move properly.

I will post back here after I do more testing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast