Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regenerating way too often during sketch mode...

Login to Give a bone

Default Regenerating way too often during sketch mode...

I usually am not the guy to complain about something I like very much....but it is umbelievably slow to just sketch a few lines during sketch mode (Site Boundary). I have been picking lines which usually is the fastest....well, after getting frustrated on the speed, I thought, well, I will just "click, click, click, click" away, since I am not interested in total accurace at this point....

Well...it regerates on all of my slight moves...so i turn off snaps and tracking.....thinking ok, it needs time to figure this out, I don't care, so I won't need the tracking, nor the snapping....wrong. When I stop moving, or slow down my cursor moving, Revit regerates, and it takes a while...

Why does it need to regerate so often, even while I am in sketch mode?

BTW, I am in wireframe mode, with or without the topography turned on, and with all my other windows closed (all I have is an autocad site plan and a simple mass single object)
    Last edited by luigi; 2007-06-01 at 03:49 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Regenerating way too often during sketch mode...

If your sketches get too complex (too many tiny lines and arcs in different directions) sometimes they get really slow for every time you draw another line Revit's thinking about all the other lines already drawn and how your new line or trimming relates to the rest. I've run into this when pulling really complex Illistrator drawings into Revit to base sketches off of.

But you say that this is with a site line, which is odd. Is this happening all the time when you edit that line? Sometimes I've noticed with 2008 that if I haven't Saved to Central in an hour or two things will start to bog. If you've been in sketch mode for a long time working on something complex things will sometimes slow down because of this. Or at least that's my experience. So I get to a point where I can Finish my sketch ok (just closing it off temporarily), Save to Central, then go back to editing it...

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Jeffrey for giving some insight, but after rebooting, and deciding to make "smaller" chuncks for each "Site Boundary" it is still dragging its feet...its kinda frustrating, I don't remember it being so slow in the past...am wondering if it is the file, 2008, or my computer....

Anyways, thanks again...
    Take care,

Luigi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey McGrew
    If your sketches get too complex (too many tiny lines and arcs in different directions) sometimes they get really slow for every time you draw another line Revit's thinking about all the other lines already drawn and how your new line or trimming relates to the rest. I've run into this when pulling really complex Illistrator drawings into Revit to base sketches off of.

But you say that this is with a site line, which is odd. Is this happening all the time when you edit that line? Sometimes I've noticed with 2008 that if I haven't Saved to Central in an hour or two things will start to bog. If you've been in sketch mode for a long time working on something complex things will sometimes slow down because of this. Or at least that's my experience. So I get to a point where I can Finish my sketch ok (just closing it off temporarily), Save to Central, then go back to editing it...

Login to Give a bone

I saw this last week with a user editing a large subregion sketch representing asphalt on a site. Slooooow. She gave up.

Login to Give a bone

Site tools need work, this is just another exampe. The only solution is do duem many small subregions, but you have to get the connector lines dead aligned.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

Why does it need to regenerate on each command? I understand when I move, pan, zoom, change view, etc.....

I know that if you have other views open, but they are not your main one (hidden behind the current view) that the view doesn't regenerate...when you click on the view, it then regenerates (sometimes there is a lag, and you see the old view, and then the regenerated current view) Why can't it do the same thing?

I am not adding trees, and after each insertion, it regenerates....it takes about 10 seconds, or so....10-20 seconds for each tree....that's crazy.....I have a bit of trees to place here....

If I zoom to a view, and quickly add all my trees, and the view doesn't regenerate....it won't hurt me. as soon as I pan, zoom, or change view...then it can regenerate...I will wait then....I don't mind...

Hmm....sorry to drag you guys in how I feel right now...but I have an incomplete site (boundary) and not even close the right amount of trees....I still need to do some massing, but it all needs to be there for me to use this model.....

Hmm....ok, take care....

Peace and Love,

G

Login to Give a bone

Sorry...I just counted my last tree addition....it took 32 seconds from once I clicked on the screen, until it ended regeneration and I was able to pick my second location..... 10 trees 320-330 seconds? That is 5 and a half minutes for 10 trees? Where is the efficiency!!!!!

Login to Give a bone

I clicked on my first tree at 9:54, when i clicked on my 10th tree (and I did it as fast and as focused as possible) and I saw the clock turned to 10:00 while waiting, and than I waited 10 more seconds for it to finish regenerating....that is more than 6 minutes for 10 trees.....aargh...
    Last edited by luigi; 2007-06-04 at 02:11 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Luigi, sounds like something unusual is really bogging things down. It would be neat to see a screenshot or something to get an idea of what you're dealing with.

Do you think the trees are slowing things down? Maybe you could replace the trees temporarily with a generic placeholder until you finish editing the site, then re-load the real trees at the very end?

Good luck!

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

We also have this when sketching mullion profiles for windows. (2 to 3 line actions a second). Could it be related to having a network license and a slow network?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast