Thread: Purge viewports?

Login to Give a bone

Default Purge viewports?

So here I am again, creating a new office template from scratch for version 9. I took the original viewport and duplicated it to create our different office viewport titles, but now I want to get rid of some of them. I don't see viewports under Purge All Unused, I don't see it under Families in the project browser. What gives?

I actually should have renamed the original default title to our office's default viewport title so that it would always come in by default. However I didn't, I created a new type for our default title. So now that I want to rename the default viewport title, I can't do it because the name I want to use is already being used, so how do I get rid of that other viewport type?

*edit* okay for some reason, some of the viewport types will show up under purge unused, but others won't, even when no viewports are placed in the project. So I did some shuffling around to get it how I want it, but I still don't understand. I have 4 viewport types defined (normal office default, one with no scale, one with "Not To Scale" and another with no title at all). If I go to Purge Unused, only the NTS one and the one with no title are available to be purged, even though none are currently in use in the project.
    Last edited by patricks; 2006-06-04 at 10:52 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Purge viewports?

Sorry for the confusion, but rather than re-creating one from scratch wouldn't you modify an existing supplied one to suit your requirements?

Or as some people have suggested previously - just upgrade your existing default template from version 8.1 ???
    Cheers @blads
    Mac Geek | Building Design Suite 2020 | Semi-Retired Building Designer / CAD-BIM Trainer | Autodesk Certified Professional

Login to Give a bone

Patrick, I noticed that too. You typically have the option to rename or delete something like that, but in this case you cannot. I find it also very annoying and unproductive that I cannot set my default viewport...I have to change it every time (and I do have a "bad" viewport that I don't need and cannot purge. I might have to figure a new one to set up and edit this one!)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino
    Patrick, I noticed that too. You typically have the option to rename or delete something like that, but in this case you cannot. I find it also very annoying and unproductive that I cannot set my default viewport...I have to change it every time (and I do have a "bad" viewport that I don't need and cannot purge. I might have to figure a new one to set up and edit this one!)
    Are you able to purge out the viewport type that you always use? If so, do that and then just rename the viewport that comes in by default and change the title family to the one that you always use.

Login to Give a bone

No, I can't figure out if there's a way to purge viewports....that category doesn't show up when you do a "Purge Unused". And there's only a "Rename" or "Duplicate" option in the viewport properties dialog...no Delete option.

I could stop if I wanted to stuntmonkee's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

anything ever come of this? Dealing with the same situation of setting up a new template. and I just need to delete one viewport style. . . . .

Also, what is the "extention line" (title line) located off of?

All AUGI, all the time christo4robin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Second - anyone ever figure out how to purge an unused family?

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Purge viewports?

It is not possible to purge un-used viewports. This is currently logged with development for consideration in the future.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs down Re: Purge viewports?

Also, any way to select all the viewports of a particular type to make changes? I'm surprised and pretty disappointed in this failing of the software. It's a small thing, but an across a 300+ drawing set, kind of a pain to keep track of it all.

Come on factory, fix this pronto!

Login to Give a bone

Jeff Hanson,
    I want to add my voice to this gripe (and wish for improvement).

To answer some of those above... It seem that you can purge a viewport if it is not in use and it is not in the current build's definition. That is, I can purge a viewport that was a duplicated type in an old project and "imported" into RAC 2008.

David Fannon, the only way I have found to "select all" is to go to each sheet, select all of the viewports (or cross window and filter), and change the Viewport Type under Element Properties. I did this (took a while) and pared the viewport types "in use" down to just those that I wanted, then tried to purge... but with no luck.

David Baldacchino, we should definitely be able to set the default viewport in our system settings. And we should be able to select the type "as" we place it on a sheet. That is, before the mouse-click is released, and the type is selected [by some internal rule] for us by the system.

In the past, I have used the view-to-view title snapping in conjunction with a customized View Title family, to arrange drafting view details in a grid on sheets. I was able to zoom way in and eyeball the first detail on the sheet into place, and then additional details would snap into alignment with the first, and I could offset them by my known grid dimensions. Now, no matter what I try, new details are added with a non-needed viewport type (with it's Title, Head, and scale in an unknown position relative to the module) so each detail has to be eye-balled into approximate position. What a pain.

The attached image illustrates my plight...

Graham

Attached Images Attached Images