Thread: Structural Headers

Login to Give a bone

Default Structural Headers

I know this has been covered somewhat, but I'm having a hard time finding a good answer.

I am trying to create a simple roof framing plan and want to show my headers below. I am simply going to import my truss layout for the roof framing via dxf., so this isn't a roof framing question. I have a few headers that need to be called out and shown, the rest can be taken care of with a note. Problem is, they are at various heights and the only way I can get them to show is to have the view cut directly through them, which isn't realistic with this many varying heights. Can I just get the stick symbol to show within the view range, or do they actually have to be cut. I want the opening to show and just the stick symbol, not the wall with the stick symbol in it, which is what happens if you cut it.

Josh

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Structural Headers

any suggestions?? Still unsure how to create a roof framing plan with members shown without a bunch of detail line work.

Josh

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Define 'headers'? Isn't the stick symbol switched off in Visibility/Graphics? Try turning off the surrounding mass.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bram.weinreder
    Define 'headers'? Isn't the stick symbol switched off in Visibility/Graphics? Try turning off the surrounding mass.
    By headers I mean a garage door header, which is a 18" deep GluLam and a 4x8 window header. Those are the only two that I really need to call out. As far as the cut plane, these two headers are in diff. positions vertically to where I could not cut each one individually, nor would I want to cut directly through the header, because if I did, that would mean I was also cutting the wall instead of the window opening itself. I would like the stick symbol for the header to show up in the void in the wall where the window or door is.

The stick symbols for structural framing are turned on in this view and the detail level is set to course.

When you say turn off the mass around it, do you mean the wall surrounding it? If you do, I cannot do that since I need my walls showing up in this view.

I hope that cleared it up a little bit so you can understand what I am after. Hopefully there is a resolution.

Thanks!
    Josh

Login to Give a bone

Josh,

The way we are now doing just such a thing is by having modified the structural beam family. Within the family I've added a vertical model type invisible line that is tied to a new instance height offset parameter. If you set it up this way you can set each header or beam to have an offset that will cut through your cut plane. As long as your cut plane cuts this line it'll show the framing component.

I can send you an example if desired if you're not following my logic.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks a lot Doug. I've done this with other families such as light fixtures and didn't think to do it with the structrual framing families.

If you wouldn't mind posting what you have, that would be great as I would like to see how you've setup your offset parameter within the family.

Thank you very much! Sounds like an easy and good solution.

Josh

Login to Give a bone

I'm not really understanding what you're after here....why does the cut plane have to go through the header in order to show it? Is it because you want to show both headers (structural framing) and walls at the same time? We do framing plans all the time and we always hav a lot of high/low conditions. But structural doesn't show the walls below. Anyway, a solution would be to set up 2 views and overlay them on a sheet. This way you don't have to modify any families. So set up a view with a cut plane above your headers looking down and set the detail level to course (or just override the structural framing category). Create another view with the cut plane cutting your walls and then overlay these views on a sheet.

Login to Give a bone

I can send you an example if desired if you're not following my logic.
    Could you post an example of what you guys have done? That would help me out quite a bit.

I'm not really understanding what you're after here....why does the cut plane have to go through the header in order to show it? Is it because you want to show both headers (structural framing) and walls at the same time? We do framing plans all the time and we always hav a lot of high/low conditions. But structural doesn't show the walls below.
    In residential, it is pretty common to see your walls below, so that you know how your structural members address window headers, beams or any other number of things.

But as far as this stick symbol for the header goes, I simply can't get it to show at the cut plane I have my view set at. for my view range at this point, it is as follows:

top: t.o.p. level - 12'0" offset
    cut plane: t.o.p. level - 12'0" offset
    bottom: t.o.p. level - 12'0" offset
    vew depth: Level Below - 6'-0"

That gets me what I want with my walls below and showing roof above. But my headers will not show in course view, but they show up in medium view. But I want the stick symbol. So without trying to modify the family, is there somethign else I should be considering with the view setup?

Josh

I could stop if I wanted to Rhythmick's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you move the bottom parameter of the view range to 0 offset or lower does it show? Is the view property set to structural?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ford347
    Could you post an example of what you guys have done? That would help me out quite a bit.
    I've attached an example of what we're using. We're mostly a residential firm so I believe we're dealing with the same issues. We just turn off the stick symbol in plan as I've embedded a family that creates a stick for each member of the header/beam.
    Attached Files Attached Files