Thread: Tile Hatch/Fill

Login to Give a bone

Question Tile Hatch/Fill

Could i get a few suggestions on the easiest methods of doing a floor hatch to show tiled areas, at the moment i use split face, then fill it with a tile pattern, but the problem with that is if you want to modify the area, the split face region goes nuts and the fill covers the entire floor.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Tile Hatch/Fill

You can use a number of methods

• Color Fills - great if you only need a graphic representation rather than defining a 'real' pattern and layout. Can't align or rotate patterns and they can only be drafting patterns
    • 'Finish' floor types that you place over the structural floor - just make them 6mm thick and turn them off in section views. You can schedule these floors if you're looking for quantities and patterns can be drafting or model.
    • Filled regions - sketch outlines for finishes as required; can be really quick if everything is related to a wall that you can pick, rather than sketching outlines; you may use model patterns for proper alignment, rotation and dimensioning
    And a few more that are probably more trouble than they're worth. My best advice is anytime that you can get Revit to automatically update something, with little effort, that's a good approach.

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'd have to vote for finish floor types. They're as much of a 'pain' (relatively) as a filled region, but they schedule.
    Please note that the surface pattern needs to be a model texture, if you're working with multiple scales.

The same approach can also be used for walls. Joining the wall finish with the wall will apply wall openings etc to the finish as well.

There's one drawback using this approach I can think of right now. When placing floor/wall based components, the host will be either the floor/wall or it's finish. Keep that in mind.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I model floor as they will be so :
    One big structural floor
    Then a few smaller ones for floor finish
    If i have nested one, you create a loop in the first one and then create the 2nd one with lock-align.

Login to Give a bone

What do you mean by finish floor type?

How does one make that? Am I making an in-place floor family with patterns drawn in it? Do I modify a standard generic floor family to be very thin and place it on top of a subfloor?

What is the best way to show large scale patterns on Finish Floor plans - like decorative patterns made of color contrasting stone for example- model lines, drafting lines, or other?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Finish floors just means making regular floors that only are as thick as your finish layer. You place these in rooms on top of a structural floor, just like the real building These floors can be schedule by applying a filter so just "finish" floors are reported. Each floor type can have its own material so patterns happen by virtue of placing the finish which isn't much different a task than sketching a filled region or using split face. I dare say it is pretty much the norm these days.

Login to Give a bone

thanks, Steve, for the explanation. I guess I missed that discussion. Until now, I spent time building different fully assembled floors for each type- typically a wood finish, or a marble tile/slab finish- and placing them next to one another. With the ability to define the "finish" layers in the floor type definition, as I first learned it, it did not dawn on me to place floors on top of one another. Can I ask where you set your levels relative to the subfloor?

RE: Fin Floor Type:
    Does that mean I define my finish material as the core material for my Finish Floor type? In other words, does the "function" remain finish 5, even though it is sandwiched between the core boundaries?
    As an example: since a marble slab floor requires a mortar setting bed, do I assign my finish material to the function as a "finish" while making the core/structure something like lightweight conc.? Or, is the setting bed considered part of my sub-floor type?

As for the patterns: I have not used the split face tool that often, I forgot about using it. I think that will be helpful to me later today. I think this program is truly innovative, yet sometimes confounding!

thanks for your input.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mmiles
    Can I ask where you set your levels relative to the subfloor?

RE: Fin Floor Type:
    Does that mean I define my finish material as the core material for my Finish Floor type? In other words, does the "function" remain finish 5, even though it is sandwiched between the core boundaries?
    As an example: since a marble slab floor requires a mortar setting bed, do I assign my finish material to the function as a "finish" while making the core/structure something like lightweight conc.? Or, is the setting bed considered part of my sub-floor type?

As for the patterns: I have not used the split face tool that often, I forgot about using it. I think that will be helpful to me later today. I think this program is truly innovative, yet sometimes confounding!

thanks for your input.
    In my projects - level = subfloor.

As for the other stuff - you're way over thinking it. Do you really need to show both the marble and setting bed? Probably not. That can get covered in a 2D detail later from your library. In fact I make all my finishes 1/4" thick regardless of the type just to simplify things. That way I can just move them all up 1/4" above the level and not have to fuss with how much to move this and that one up and down.

Just leave the function as finish. If you want you can make the setting bed substrate, but it really won't make much difference.